Chapter Two: Day Two

Start from the beginning

“Stop ‘em!” They yelled, some jumping to their feet. 

“Good, what can’t you let them do?”

“Score!”

“I think you get where I’m going with this,” he concluded letting the end coach clear anything up.

“So do we have any questions?” Head coach (HC) Bobby asked causing multiple hands to shoot up.  “Bale first.”

“So our job on the defense, is to keep them from moving her, correct?” he inquired, just seeming like he was clarifying his thoughts.

“Exactly.  Now, Boones.”

“So, are we actually going to practice with her?”

“In a way; yes.”  Gavin smiled, I snapped my head over in his direction.

“Go Gates.”

“Wait, you’re going to do what?” I muttered, my eyes wide and probably very scared.

Gavin shushed me and pointed at a player; Gates, I believe.

“So, we’re going to use her? In what way?” He asked, pointing at me with an emotionless expression.

“Every time we run through a play and the offense gets by you or the defense gets the ball, where the girl gets used is there.” Another coach explained and HC Bobby sighed.

“Boys, you need this girl to stay with you, just like you want to keep the ball; understand?”  He started slowly, yet loudly speaking.  All the players nodded their heads; even I found myself doing so.

“Every time you let the other team score, you let her, get taken away by them you let them use her and taunt you with the fact that you can’t do anything about it.  You’ve got to show them you don’t put up with that.  Show them who’s boss.”  He concluded, successfully riling the players.  They jumped up and shouted before running out on the field.

“So, let’s go play by play for the offense!” Gavin yelled, grabbing his clipboard and walking onto the sidelines.  I followed closely behind him, trying to keep up with them, since I had no clue what I’d be doing.  The offense all gathered up on the field as did the defense.

A few people had lifted signs, showing pictures, probably play calls.  The quarterback, who is apparently one of the best ranked in the country, yelled out the plays.

Then he hiked the ball.

The quarterback threw the ball over to one of the wide receivers, but just before the wide receiver caught it a d-back snatched it away.  I frowned at the play.  HC Bobby did not seem pleased at all; meaning I would be happy at all.

They ran through another couple plays and almost every time the offense didn’t move far.  I sighed and waited for the yelling to begin, but it never did.

“Ellie, go stand by King.” Gavin yelled, pushing me out on to the field.  He pointed at the quarterback, and ushered me towards him.  I stumbled but I made it over to the giant.

“This time she’s your ball; Go.” I let out a scream when I was thrown over his shoulder.  I had a bumpy ride and then I was tossed in the air.  Not long after I was in the second person’s grasp was I on the ground.

“You have to hold onto the ball.  Otherwise, you just let them get the ball.  Now, again.  If you can hold onto her you can hold onto a ball.”  HC Bobby finished, his voice hoarse from yelling.  I groaned and mentally prepared for my beat down.

After the fifth try, the person actually got 25 yards AND held onto me.  Everyone had cheered, including myself, because they could now play with a ball again.