“There’s no need to do that, get up.” Sophie told them.

The boys stood up and looked at Sophie, seeing that she was in her dressing gown, they looked away quickly.

“May I come out of this closet?” Sophie asked.

The boys quickly moved aside and Sophie strode out. She walked to the horse’s stalls and inquired after their names.

“The one to the left is named Mark, and the girl, Sophie.” Tom answered.

Sophie blushed, “That’s embarrassing.”

Sophie petted the two horses for a couple more minutes, when the door opened and the maid that had been in Sophie room earlier came in and told her that she had only fifteen minutes to dress before she was to meet her father for breakfast.

As she was leaving Sophie turned and asked the second boy his name.

“Scott, Miss.”

“That’s a lovely name.” Sophie complimented him.

“Thank you Miss.”

Sophie waved and left the barn.

“Is she still a snot Scott?” Tom sneered.

Scott looked away and shook his head no.

“I didn’t think so.”

At the same moment, Sophie was being rushed into her room and undressed as quickly possible.

“Which dress would you like to wear Miss?” asked the maid.

“Um,  the red one.”

As soon as Sophie was dressed, she went down and walked into the breakfast room. Upon arrival she was shocked and appalled to see the Duke of Aldershot and Phillip sitting at the table with her father. All three men stood up when Sophie entered.

“May I present, Her Royal Highness Sophie Marie, Princess of Caledonia and of course my daughter.” Mark announced Sophie to the Duke and Phillip as if they had never met her before but of course they had been in her presence twelve hours ago. Despite this, both the Duke and Phillip bowed. Sophie resisted the urge to roll her eyes.

“Pleased to make your acquaintance again Princess.” Phillip said.

“Likewise.” Sophie added.

“Please take a seat.” Phillip gestured to the chair next time.

Sophie reluctantly took her place at the table. After a few minutes of awkward silence, Sophie’s father turned to the Duke and whispered something in his ear. The Duke then curved toward Sophie, “I hear you enjoy horses Princess, we have quite a few fine ones ourselves don’t we son?”

Phillip who had been fiddling with his fork, sat up right abruptly,  “Yes, uh, a thoroughbred and three palominos. Quite lovely horses. Your father tells me that you have a horse of you own. What breed is he?”

Sophie looked at Phillip to see if he was genuinely interested, which he was, but not in her horse, in her bosom. She looked to her father to see if he had noticed but he was stirring his tea.

Sophie continued, “She is a palomino and her name is Melody.”

“Interesting name for a horse.” The Duke commented.

Luckily then, their breakfasts of eggs Benedict arrived. Sophie ate hers as quickly as she could. The men, as always, took longer to eat, but once her father had finished, he wasted no time in getting ready to go.

“Come now, dearest, we have a long day of travel ahead of us, not to mention a small supper this evening at the Lord Glenview’s.” Sophie’s father addressed Sophie.