Chapter 27: Piecing the Puzzle

Start from the beginning

"Why did she leave?" Dom asked but I didn't really have the answer to that question.

"Aiden's mom left out of nowhere..." I said as I picked my mind trying to retrace my memories.

"They were a perfect family until they weren't. It was like out of nowhere his parents started fighting. I don't remember much because id always get Aiden out of there so he wouldn't have to hear it, but it didn't last long. It was a few months of them fighting before his mom just up and left." I continued.

"His mom started to work later and then I remember some nights she wouldn't come home."

"There has to be something in here that we can use to figure this out." Dom said as he went to open the file that said "Grace Grey" on it.

"Where's the pictures of her?" he asked as he combed through the many pages of the file. I didn't even realize that there wasn't any.

"My dad keeps thorough files, each of them have pictures usually taken by his men. Why wouldn't there be any of her?" he said to himself. I could tell that he was keeping something from me, something that he was trying to put together in his head...something I wouldn't like.

"Dom...what is it?" I said worried as he let out a deep breath of frustration. He placed the files on the coffee table and he leaned back on the couch and looked up at the ceiling.

"Dom..." I said again cautiously as I went to sit beside him, but his eyes stayed glued to the ceiling.

We sat there in silence for what seemed like an eternity before Dom turned and looked me in the eyes.

"All I know is that this cant be good. You want to dig up answers to a past that will do nothing but hurt you and everyone else involved." He said causing my heart to race nervously.

"This had to begin with Aiden's mom and my dad, because if there's no picture in this it means it was personal for my dad. And it obviously didn't turn out in my dads favor which would make sense out of a lot of things." He continued.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I honestly don't know...I do know that Grace Grey stirred up a lot of trouble. Whatever went on between her and my dad had a rippling effect on everything else." He said as I looked at him puzzled.

"She must have really pissed my dad off because he had everything to do with the Grey family falling apart." He continued as he opened the file with Aiden's dads name.

"My father bought out Aiden's dads company, causing him to lose his job. After losing his wife and his job he was vulnerable..."

"Your dad didn't force Aiden's dad to become a gambling alcoholic..." I said.

"No but I'm sure he made it tempting, and if you look here," he said pointing to one of the pages in the file.

"It's a list of all the people Aiden's dad borrowed money from, and how much. But these aren't just random people...they all work for my dad." He said as the pieces of the puzzle were put together.

"Your dad knew that Aiden would do anything to help his dad, so he was there to offer him help and jobs..." I said.

"All the while having some ulterior motive in mind." Dom finished.

"Hurting his mom, which is the piece of the puzzle we're still missing." I said.

"Yup, but not for long. Whatever he doesn't have here he's keeping at his office at work. My dads smart like that, making sure he keeps everything scattered around." Dom said.

"Okay so we go to his office and find what we're missing. We need to know what happened between Grace and your dad...we have to find out the reason why he's doing all of this before Aiden gets hurt." I said as I got up from the couch ready to go wherever I had to in order to figure this out and help Aiden. But Dom took hold of my hand and pulled me back down to the couch.

"Hold on horsey, we aren't going anywhere," he said.

"That building is always heavily guarded, there's no way we can go snooping around without getting caught. There's always someone there..." he said.

"So what do we do?" I asked.

"We do nothing...this is something I have to do on my own. My dad has always wanted me to take over one day. If I show interest in the business he'll be so happy he wont suspect a thing. So i'll have a chance to work in the office and find whatever I can." He said.

"Dom...that's a lot to ask for, I know how you feel about what your dad does. I can't let you do all that for me. There has to be another way." I said remembering everything Ellie told me.

"Hails, I want to do this for you. I need to prove to you that I'm on your side and that I want to help. I already screwed that up once when I told Aiden off, but its not going to happen again. I want to figure this out so things can be normal for once, maybe we can be normal." He said with a shimmer of hope in his eyes that only made my heart ache.

"Are you sure?" I asked as I let out a deep breath.
"I'm positive. It's the only way."

"Great, now I have to worried about you and Aiden..." I said.

"No you wont I promise everything will be fine, it will only be for a week or two and I wont do anything too drastic." He said.

"Okay but I'll still worry..." I said as I leaned my head on his shoulder.

"I know." He said with a laugh.

"And while you do that...I'm going to visit Aiden." I said.

"What? No chance in hell!" he responded.

"I don't think I was asking..." I said.

"Its dangerous Hailie, you heard my dad on the phone. Aiden should be back in a few days there's no reason for you to drive out of town to see him..." he said.

"No Dom I have too. I think its time Aiden knows what's going on, we can use his help." I said.

"Are you sure? I don't know if he's going to be so willing to team up with us." He said.

"Well I don't care what he wants anymore, I'm tired of letting him push me away. I'm done asking and trying to help him, I just am..." I said.

"Why do I have a bad feeling about this... will you at least take Ellie with you? Not that it gives me any more comfort knowing you'll be with her, with my luck you'll come back with a bone through your nose." He said and I let out a laugh.

"Oh don't worry dad." I said with a smile.

"I can't help it, you make me worry Hailie Adams." He said as he moved a piece of my hair behind my ear.

"I can take care of myself Dom." I said as he looked at me deeply, I could tell he was holding back so many words and feelings and I was relieved.

"Well we have a busy weekend we should get some sleep." I said breaking his intense eye contact causing his the light of hope in his eyes to dim.

We were finally getting somewhere with everything, finally piecing all the parts of the puzzle together. I couldn't let the way Dom felt cause my attention to linger. I needed to be focused; I needed to achieve my goal before I could even think about opening up that can of worms.

Once we figured everything out we would have to come up with a plan to get Aiden out of all this, as if it would that simple. But I don't care how hard it will be, I'm not giving up and I'm not playing games anymore.

Aiden's going to listen to what I have to say and he's going to let me help him because I'm tired of being pushed away.

I'm going to save my best friend...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi guys i know  its been forever but its been a very busy year for me i always have a lot going on but i intend on finishing my stories so dont think i forgot! 

if you guys are stilll reading and waiting i appreciate that so much. it means alot that you havent given up on me & your the reason i keep going! so thank you so much. 

please vote, & comment on what you think! Your comments mean so much and i take the time to read them all so if you have aa question i promise ill get back to you

but this chapter is the platform for something big so i promise you wont be disappointed!!

<333