Chapter 2

Valerie's POV
As I opened my eyes, I felt the warm sun shine against my skin through my curtains. With a sigh, I stretched my arms and grabbed my phone to look at the time, "Damn 11:30 already?" I asked myself as I pulled the sheets off of me and walked to the bathroom to brush my teeth. After I brushed my teeth and washed my face, I walked back into my bedroom and fixed my hair into a bun. My stomach rumbled and yearned for a sandwich from the Jose's bodega. I quickly slipped on  a pair of sweat pants and a plain white t-shirt with my Nike slides. Once I was ready, I grabbed my wallet and slipped it into my pocket then I walked into Gloria's room to see if she wanted anything but she wasn't there.

With a shrug, I closed her door and grabbed my keys and walked outside, locking the door behind me. It wasn't weird for Gloria to be gone in the mornings but I thought we could have breakfast together since it was her day off. With a sigh, I walked out of building and around the corner to the bodega. As I walked in, I was immediately greeted by "Hey Valerie! Slept in late, huh?" Jose asked as I rolled my eyes "Yeah I started this new job and I get off at like 4 AM" I said as Jose nodded his head "Wow that's tough, well what can I get you honey?" He asked and I sighed "Just the usual sandwich" I said as Jose nodded then yelled to the cook my order as I went to the back and grabbed an Arizona. My phone buzzed in my pocket and I pulled it out of my pocket and saw Jason was calling me.

I chuckled as I answered the phone "Missed me already?" I joked as I heard him laugh "Just wanted to make sure you got up on time for work on this fine Friday morning." he rasped and I almost melted by the sound of his voice. "How sweet" I teased as I laughed and Jose signaled me to the counter "What are you doing right now?" Jason asked me as I handed Jose a $10 for my sandwich and my Arizona "I'm getting a sandwich at the bodega" I said as I waved Jose off "Have a good day honey" Jose yelled to me as I smiled "You too Jose" I said as Jason chuckled "Oh someone is trying to steal you away from me already." Jason said and I laughed as I playfully rolled my eyes "Oh please, one, Jose has known me for years now. Two he's married and three I ain't yours yet." I teased as I opened the door of my building and walked in.

"Ah and that's the perfect word, 'yet'. You're not mine yet" Jason said with a deep chuckle, making my knees weak and I couldn't help but bite my lip "Well if you're so worried, what are you waiting for?" I asked as I opened my front door and closed it behind me "You're right, how's dinner sound?" He asked and I tried my best to contain my excitement "Name a date and time" I said as I placed my bag down on the table and began devouring my sandwich. "Is tomorrow at 6 good?" Jason asked as I drank some of my Arizona "Yeah, want me to meet you there or?" I asked and Jason chuckled "Are you crazy? Of course I'm picking you up." He said as I laughed "Alright, alright I'll see you later then." I said as I took another bite of my sandwich "See you later" Jason said as he hung up and I couldn't help the smile on my face.

I was excited for the date because I could get a lot of questions answered so I know exactly what I would be getting myself into if I consider to continue to date Jason. Not that it wouldn't be a normal thing around here to date someone in a gang or something in that category cause a lot of the girls I know date some kind of scammer, drug dealer, or gang member. I just wanted to know what kind of person I'm dealing with.

Once I finally finished off my sandwich and gulped down my Arizona, I threw away the trash and walked back into my room to start getting ready for work. I grabbed my towel and walked to the bathroom to shower. I stripped off my clothes and decided I would keep my hair in the bun for the rest of the day. After I washed my body, I turned the water off and wrapped my towel around me then walked back to my bedroom. I pulled out my underwear and bra then slipped them on just as Gloria walked into my room. "Hey baby sis" she said as she threw herself on my bed and I chuckled "Hey, where have you been?" I asked as I walked into my closet and grabbed a pair of jeans and a white crop top then threw them on. "I got my nails done and bought this cute ass outfit." Gloria said as she pulled out a skirt and a off the shoulder crop top "Oh that is cute" I said as I admired her new clothes "Yeah I'm gonna wear it to August's birthday party on Sunday" She said as I nodded my head.