"Captain Lyre," said the Queen formally, "I see you have brought a new face to this delightful gathering. Pray, who is he?"

"My Lady," Lyre bowed, "this is Lieutenant Tristan. He has come to learn what it means to be a royal Advisor. Fear not, he will not interfere or disrupt your Majesty in any way."

"Thank you, Lyre. I welcome you to Vespera, Lieutenant Tristan," said the Queen graciously, "I hope your stay will be beneficial." Tristan bowed in thanks and resumed his seat. The other people there present looked at him curiously, a few with obvious contempt. The evening passed slowly as various individuals, groups, or representatives came forward to have their cases judged by the Queen, from a dispute over who owned a runaway pig to nobles squabbling over property lines, the Queen judged each situation fairly, but with compassion. Tristan could see why she was so popular and successful a queen, though she was also relatively young. Occasionally during the course of the night, he thought he saw her glancing at him out of the corner of her eye, but perhaps it was just the flickering light of the candles. The court was dismissed, all stood as her Majesty walked gracefully out, and bowed as she passed. Some of the observers retreated immediately to their own chambers, but Lyre and Tristan lingered behind, which Tristan though odd, as with the Queen gone, Lyre had no one to impress.

"Conrad!" cried Lyre to a man standing nearby, satisfying Tristan's curiosity as to their prolonged presence after the Queen's flight. The man turned as they approached, and Lyre began, "I would like you to meet one of my associates; he is here to learn the ropes of being a royal Advisor. He has a great interest in the Brethren and I was hoping you could sate his curiosity."

Conrad smiled blandly at Lyre and then looked at Tristan, both bowed to each other and fought down delighted smiles, allowing only bland neutrality to grace each countenance. "I would be honored to speak with you at your leisure," said Conrad ironically.

"Thank you, I very much wish to become acquainted with you and your people," said Tristan dryly.

Lyre gave them both a strange look, but said nothing. "We shall retire now," ordered Lyre, "but I shall send Tristan to you tomorrow." Lyre could not wait to be rid of the irksome man, even his excellent example probably couldn't make a proper advisor out of the poor wretch!

Early the next morning, a servant woke Tristan, informing him that her Majesty had requested his presence on a midmorning ride, though slightly confused by the honor, he looked forward to meeting her Majesty. He knocked on Lyre's door and told the groggy Captain the news. Lyre was not surprised, the Queen often invited new members of her court out for some sort of activity in hopes of getting to know them, and their strengths and weaknesses, better. Tristan was advised to be completely submissive to her Majesty, to say nothing regarding the Order, and to flatter her Majesty at any opportune time. The idea was to keep her in the dark about their plans while winning her favor and trust; Tristan doubted very much that Lyre's methods would accomplish either but said nothing. Lyre also suggested that after his ride he should visit with Conrad until the Queen held court again that evening. Tristan brightened, feeling it would be a rather enjoyable day after all, he nodded his assent and went to clean up before breakfast.

Shortly before midmorning, a servant came to fetch Tristan, apparently his horse was misbehaving, again, and would not allow the grooms near her; Tristan could only sigh and follow the anxious servant to the stables. Upon entering the stable, the mare whickered eagerly and quietly submitted to him as he saddled her, though she did lay her ears back when he quietly suggested that perhaps she should let someone else do this next time or people might start asking questions. He led her out into the courtyard, where he met a mounted guard, who motioned for Tristan to follow. He swung into the saddle, followed the guard out a side door in the palace wall and into a vacant alley, and eventually came to a small gate in the side of the city wall that opened into the countryside. The Queen was waiting for them with another guard and one of her ladies.