Arrangements

Maggie

Pat helped Nixon make arrangements while the boys made calls. I hated it. Kat was one of my most extended friends, along with Marcy and Macey. When she married Nixon, she became my sister.

The medical examiner came and took Kat's body after giving Nixon and his family time with her.

"I think we figured out everything," Pat told us. "Nixon is having Kat cremated and bringing her ashes home. We'll have a service when we get home."

I got up and left the house as everyone watched me. I walked out back towards the water and cried. I haven't called this much since we lost Nate.

"Didn't anyone ever tell you that you're a big crybaby?" I heard someone asked.

I wiped my eyes as I turned to see Nixon standing there. "Yeah, I learned from the best," I retorted.

Nixon walked over to me. "Yeah, you did. You learned from Nash."

I laughed as I wiped my eyes, then I cried again. Nixon wrapped his arms around me as I buried my face into his chest.

"It's not fair," I said.

"Tell me about it. I thought I would have way more years with Kat," Nixon whispered.

Nixon let me go and looked at me.

"Kat loved you; you know that?" I mentioned.

"I had an inkling. I mean, who wouldn't love me," Nixon joked. "Who wouldn't love a temperamental guy who has no filter?"

"Someone special."

"Yeah, because Kat was beyond special to me."

I looked at Nixon as he tried to hold it together. It wasn't working. Out of the brothers, Nixon hurt the most. When you got past the sarcasm, he cared deeply. He helped Nash get his head out of his ass with me.

"Thank you," Nixon said, surprising me.

"For what?"

"Introducing me to my wife. Sorry that I stole your best friend from you."

"You didn't steal, Kat."

Nixon looked at me, curiously.

"You gave me a sister." I smiled.

"I did, didn't I?"

I scoffed. "Don't push it."

We walked back to the house as Nash met us at the door. He hugged me then hugged Nixon. I left Nash and Nixon alone. Nixon needed his big brother. Sometimes, we know what someone needs more than what we need ourselves. I learned that from becoming a Gray.

**********
Matt

With Aunt Kat passing away, I made arrangements to end our trip to return home. The boys weren't happy, but the cousins told them to put a sock in it. Yeah, we're one big happy family.

After making several calls, I went over to see the family. I talked to each family member, then saw Uncle Nixon. He sat at a table with Grammy, Pat, and Grandpa.

"Hey, Matthew," Grandpa greeted me.

"Hey, Grandpa. Grammy Pat," I said as I walked over and kissed her cheek.

"Join us, Matthew. We're discussing arrangements," Grammy mentioned, pointing to a chair.

I sat down next to Grandpa. "I called the rental place and explained everything. We booked seats on a flight to head home," I mentioned.

"Why?" Uncle Nixon asked me.

"We wanted to come home for the service," I answered.

Grammy and Grandpa looked at me.

"No," Nixon replied.

"What?" I questioned.

"I appreciate you and your cousins wanting to cut your vacation short, but Kat said never forgo family time. She was adamant about making time for the boys. Why do you think I showed up when Kaxon called me?" Nixon asked.

"I feel like it's a sign of respect," I reasoned.

"That's bullshit," Nixon remarked, surprising me. "Most people attend funerals because they feel guilty that they didn't spend enough time with the person when they were alive. You shouldn't wait to care about someone when they die. You do it all the damn time. I would never give up time with someone while they're here to tell everyone how sorry I am. Sorry for what?"

My uncles started to say something when Grammy put her hand up.

"Matthew, when someone you love dies, a piece of your heart leaves with them. It's a piece, not the entire thing. You remember all the times you had with them. Kat wasn't just my wife and my kids; she was my best friend next to my brothers. She understood life. She knew it's what we do while we're here that makes the difference. Don't cheat your family out of memories because you think attending a service will help. Spend time with them while you still have them," Nixon finished.

Nixon got up and went upstairs. I looked at my grandparents.

"Nixon is right. He reminds me of his father. Nate wanted memories of his family and created them. He said next to me; the kids kept his legacy alive. I agree with him," Grammy told me.

"It's because of Grammy Gray," Grandpa mentioned.

We looked at Grandpa.

"Grammy didn't sit down and mourn after grandpa died. She kept living and loving life. That's why we loved her," Grandpa reasoned.

"Lucille had an interesting way of looking at life. She said you should live life, not waste it. Yeah, you'll have your difficulties, but you'll have your happiness too. Sweetheart, you have your father's honorable way of doing things, but don't forgo vital memories with your family. Your family is your immortality," Grammy reasoned.

I looked at my grandparents and family. When I lost Sadie, my family helped me. It was the most challenging time in my life, but if I cheat my kids out of memories, will it help them? As much as I wanted to support my uncle and cousins, I knew I have to consider my family.

There are times when we have to make a difficult choice. This time was it. I chose my family. I didn't want the boys to grow up without memories of me or their ma. Eventually, they would leave and have families of their own. I had very little time before that happened.

"I'll let the cousins know that we're staying," I said as my family nodded. I got up and left, going back to the rental house.

As we get older, we understand how precious time is with people. I understood it better than anyone. I called the rental place and canceled our flight, changing it back to the time we're leaving.

I walked into the house as Nora met me at the door. "Matt? Is everything okay?" She asked me.

"We're staying," I answered, surprising Nora.

"Are you sure?"

"Nora, I don't want to miss a chance to make memories with you and the boys. I don't want regrets or the boys slapping me in a nursing home."

Nora giggled as I chuckled. Markus walked over to me. I looked at him.

"Tell everyone we're staying," I said.

"Are you sure?" Markus asked me.

"Yeah, I'm sure," I replied.

"You know our mothers will hurt us," Markus reminded me.

"I can live with that," I reasoned.

"It's your funeral," Markus said with a shrug. He turned and went upstairs, yelling, "Unpack! We're staying!"

We heard a collective yay from the peanut gallery. I chuckled as Nora laughed. I pulled her to me and kissed her-Uncle Nixon's right. Attending a funeral because you feel obligated is bullshit. You love people while they're here, not when they leave.