🗣️| Kannada |🗣️

Namaskara! Nanna hesaru Kannada

Not Canada, Kannada. I am almost 4500 years old but don't think of me as an oldie, I am a youngster at heart.

There are around 45 million native speakers of Kannada around the world. Stick around till the end and you'll meet two Kannadigas speaking about me! :)

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

I'm also the 7th on the list of Official Languages of India according to the Constitution of India under the Eighth Schedule [Articles 344(1) and 355] and am the administrative language of the state of Karnataka. Not only that, but I've also been the court language of the Chalukyas, Rashtrakutas, and the Vijayanagara and Hoysala Empires.

My cousins are Telugu, Tamil, and Malayalam. However, I'm a little extra close to Telugu because we are sort of similar. My script is a developed version of the 5th-century Kadamba script (that's why Telugu and I are similar) and the Halegannada (ಹಳೆಗನ್ನಡ) or Old Kannada Halmidi script.

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

Also, I boast a literary history of more than a thousand years! 8 of my disciples have won the Jnanpitha Award, the highest Indian literary award. Needless to say, I have been so protected by my people that there are very few (you-can-count-them-on-your-hands few) words derived from other non-Indian languages such as Persian, Greek, Latin, etc.

Let's move on to a couple of my 8 disciples who won me the second highest place in the number of Jnanapithas. Rasthrakavi Kuvempu (Kuppali Venkatappa Puttappa) was the first Kannadiga to be awarded this in 1967. I'm so proud of this guy to be the national poet as well, it brings me such honor! Da. Ra. Bendre (Dattatreya Ramachandra Bendre) won the award in 1973 for his poetry collection, Naaku Tanti (ನಾಕು ತಂತಿ; 4 strings).

Fun fact: Tiger's "boss" in Ek Tha Tiger and Tiger Zinda Hai, Dr. Shenoy, aka the famous Girish Karnad is well known for his work in Kannada. He has written many Kannada plays (and translated them to English himself) and was a multifaceted actor, playwright, director, as well as being a visiting professor at the University of Chicago! Despite being born in Maharashtra and learned Marathi since the day he was born, I appreciate that he chose me toward fame in the literary world.

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

A lot of my grammar is similar to the other Indian languages. However, my script is a lot more curves than the Devanagari script does. Though I'm not complicated at all, these curves tend to throw people off a lot. I mean, all shapes and sizes are loved in this world! Honestly, if you (yes, you Northies who refuse to at least try to understand me) just give me a chance, I'll grow on you quicker than bacteria multiply.