Chapter 28: Hesitation

Começar do início

She stared at the enchanted ball as it hovered above her palm. The words Jessica teased Oliver about back then flashed from time to time: You're a catch. She felt a blush form on her cheeks as she reread them over and over again. She knew he didn't even notice those words when he first bought it, but it still made her wonder if there was any truth behind them, especially after what they shared last night.

With a sigh, Jessica swung her legs over the edge of her bed and got up on her feet. It was lunch time already, so she might as well get something to eat to take her mind off of things. Knowing that Bethany wouldn't like her nap to be disrupted, she left the redhead in their dorm and made her way down the stairs by herself.

Meanwhile, Oliver had spent the entire morning pacing in his room. Carson slept in because he got wasted, and Percy was out studying in the library with Penelope Clearwater, so Oliver was technically alone the whole time.

His brain was going haywire — was he imagining, or did he seriously kiss Jessica Hawthorne yesterday? It felt so real, and he could remember every detail from it that he couldn't possibly have just made that up. But still, he was highly intoxicated towards the end of the night that maybe he had just dreamt or hallucinated it.

 But still, he was highly intoxicated towards the end of the night that maybe he had just dreamt or hallucinated it

Oliver groaned out loud and face planted on his bed. This was too frustrating for him. A big part of him knew that what happened the night before was real, but a small voice of doubt said that he had just imagined it because — well, he couldn't deny it any longer — he liked Jessica so much that being with her sounded like some crazy fantasy. If they really kissed, though, she must have reciprocated his feelings... right?

He had even skipped breakfast because of all these thoughts, but now, he couldn't reject his hunger any longer. His only worry was that he'd bump into Jessica already while he wasn't sure of anything just yet.

"Carson," Oliver shoved his sleeping friend.

"Go away," Carson said, his voice muffled into his pillow.

"It's lunch time."

Carson let out a loud snore. Oliver gave up and left the room on his own, heading down to the Gryffindor common room quickly. If he could escape right now and find a seat in the middle of a bunch of other Gryffindors, maybe he'd have more time to sort out his thoughts before —

"Oliver."

Oliver froze when he came across Jessica who had gone down from the girls dorm at the exact same time. Merlin's beard, what am I going to say to her? he panicked.

"Jessica," he smiled hesitantly.

"Are you feeling okay?" she said tentatively. "I didn't see you at breakfast."

"Yeah. I just woke up late with a massive hangover," Oliver replied, chuckling awkwardly.

"I see."