~If Not Home, Then What~

Start from the beginning

"Luck had nothing to do with it," she said, suddenly aware that she was in a nightgown she had never seen before. "I know my limits."

Vraylor sat back in his chair, lips pursing. Sawyer settled against the master's leg. A droopy tiger lily was held in his hands and Maevus could taste the green of his magic in the air. Her stomach suddenly growled.

Though he looked like he had more to say, Vraylor simply stood, helping Sawyer to his feet. "Get dressed and meet me downstairs. You can buy me dinner this time." Then he left, Sawyer trailing along in his wake.

Before the door shut, the little boy ran over and gave Maevus a quick hug. "Glad you're w-w-well," the boy said, a slight stammer catching at his words. Before Maevus could react, the boy darted out the door and Vraylor shut it behind them.

Almost as soon as they'd gone, Maevus' knees gave and she collapsed to the bed. Her chest hurt as she gasped for breath, paying a price for her moment of temper and pride. A soft knock made her look up.

"Maevus? Maevus, can I come in?" Korie's voice was faint through the door.

Surprise shot through Maevus. "Yeah," she called before she could consider it.

The door opened and the clanswoman crept into the room. She was in a simply cut, fawn-colored dress, her dark hair falling in soft curls down her back. She made a beeline straight to the chair and sat down.

"How are you feeling?" she asked, her voice low. Her golden eyes were shadowed, her hands knotting together in her lap.

She was worried. About me? Maevus could do little more than blink, shocked by the idea. Why would she be worried about me? She barely even knows me!

"Gods, Maevus," Korie said, hanging her head. "We were so scared when you wouldn't wake up. We thought, well... Look, never mind. We're—I'm just really glad you're okay. If it hadn't been for me—"

"Don't," Maevus said, feeling horribly uncomfortable. "That's why I came, right? To get us out of any jams that might come with retrieving the ring?"

"Well...yes, but—"

"No buts," Maevus insisted. "I got paid, right?"

Korie nodded.

"Then it's fine. That's just our job, isn't it?"

"Well, yes. But that doesn't make it meaningless when one of us gets hurt! The whole guild's been worried for days. For a while we weren't sure you were gonna make it. Master said your reserves just started refilling yesterday."

"The whole guild?" Maevus asked blankly. That made even less sense than Korie or Vraylor being worried.

Korie frowned. "Yeah," she said slowly. "Maevus..."

"Could you help me get downstairs?" She cut the other woman off before she could say anything else that made Maevus uncomfortable.

"Um, I guess?" Korie stood with Maevus, reaching forward to steady her when she wobbled. "Do you need help getting dressed? I mean, you can barely stand, Maevus. Why do you want to go downstairs? You don't have to, you know."

Probably just to make a point, she thought, making a face at herself. "You said everyone was worried," she muttered, stumbling toward her dresser.

If Korie noticed, she didn't react. She just joined Maevus at the dresser, pulling open the top drawer with a smile twitching at her mouth. "I hope you don't mind, but Letya told me you didn't have really any other clothes. So I...I went and bought you some. As, you know, a thank you." She let out a giggle. "Everything but underthings. That seemed a bit too much of a thank you."

Ink ForgedOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara