Ch. 10

I know that life is full of coincidences, but this one was extreme.

How was it that I came all the way to Miami, and he just happened to be here too!

After I recovered from the slight shock, I managed to muster a smile and a hello. I could feel everyone's eyes on me including Dylan's.

Did he know that Adán was going to be here? He had to have known!

As we sat down at the dinner table, I noticed that Dylan sat closer to me. I never told him why Adán and I broke up, but when we were together they were never best buds. It was always politeness just for my sake. I tried to pay keen attention to what Mr. Gomez was saying.

Ever so often I would glance across at Adán, but he was never looking at me. I sensed that he wasn't pleased with the situation because of how tense his jaw was.

I couldn't wait for this night to be over.
"Mr. Cambridge, you must find it a pleasure to have someone like Ms. Sullivan working for you."

Based upon the smile that Mr. Gomez had on his face, I could tell that he was thinking about our elevator encounter.
"It's been more than a pleasure. Without her by my side everyday, I don't think that I could've gotten that far in my business." I could feel Dylan looking down at me as he spoke. As if on cue, I started blushing.

As soon as Dylan began to speak, I saw Adán's head jerk up. I looked at him and as I looked into his eyes, something flickered. Something I didn't quite understand.

As if to add further to my despair, Mr. Gomez said,"Adán, I heard you refer to Ms. Sullivan as Alexandra, I didn't realize you knew each other."

There was a bit of silence, and I felt Dylan become tense.

I didn't know what to say, so I was hoping that Adán would say something. He simply said, "My Tia and her grandmother are friends, so that's how we are acquainted."
I looked up at him, but again, he was looking elsewhere. Yes, my grams and his Tia are friends, but technically, that's not how we knew each other. I'm pretty sure I had a puzzled look on my face because I felt a tap in my shoulder.

Dylan was looking down at me concerned. "Are you ok?" I quickly nodded my head.

Now, I definitely couldn't wait for this dinner to be over. It soon did, and I could tell that the mood was ruined.

As we all stood up from the table, Mr. Gomez reached for my hand and laid a chaste kiss on it. "Ms. Alexandra, I really look forward to seeing you when I get to the city".
Was it just me, or was there an underlying tone? Before I could even have time to process that, Adán grabbed my hand. I was in shock.

After how he answered that question, I figured that he would've left without saying anything to me. " I'll definitely see you in the city. Remember Ariana wants to see you."
My face fell slightly as I replied, "I can't wait to see her."
For a second I had hoped that he was the one who wanted to see me.

When Dylan cleared his throat, it snapped me out of my thoughts.
As we were about to walk back to the elevator, Dylan grabbed me by the hand. He turned me squarely to him.
"I know what you're thinking. I honestly did not know that he was the other partner. I know you haven't seen each other in a while-"
I softly interrupted him. "I saw him this week. We had dinner w-"
"What?!" Dylan looked down at me incredulously. He began to rant, "You had dinner with him and you didn't tell me! I can't believe you would do something like that! I thought that you guys broke up." He continued ranting not even allowing me to get in a word.

I reached up and cupped his face, " Dylan, shhhhh! People are staring". He finally calmed down, but I could still see his chest heaving. I couldn't help but step back and admire how he looked, being worked up like that.
"Are you done now?" I asked.

As he looked down at me, his face shifted from frustration into a slight smirk.
"Actually.......", he said, then stepped closer to me until our bodies were almost touching. "I'm just beginning."

With that he grabbed my hand, and pulled me towards the elevator.
"We need to talk."
************