The Only Thing That Keeps Me

Start from the beginning

He's had what was coming for him.

He deserved it.

It's karma.

That's what everyone would say and it was the blatant truth.

Jeongguk was kicked down to the ground and no sounds left his mouth as he was being beaten to a bloody pulp. He still wasn't sure just how many people were having fun with afflicting pain on his body. There were too many voices to recognize, too many fists to not distinguish them as one force bringing him down in the moment.

The jocks left after they realized Jeongguk had gotten unresponsive and soon scurried away from the scene. As Jeongguk faded in and out of consciousness, his vision flickering black and unable to focus he could hear their voices in the distance through the ringing of his ears.

"Shouldn't we do something?"

"Someone will find him."

"He got what was coming from him."

And as Jeongguk got one last glimpse of the early evening sky littered with clouds, his blood soaking the stone cold ground beneath him, he wondered if Taehyung was at dinner and thinking about him.

It was scary to think that his last moments might have spent thinking about Taehyung. With that last moment of awareness he faded out of consciousness. The parking lot now completely empty except for him.

»»————- 🥊 ————-««

Beeping. Annoying beeping filled the air around him. It was the most hellish sound he had ever heard in his life and that was enough said when he had to spent his days with Jung Hoseok in his class.

The beeping was accompanied with a buzzing inside of his head, almost as if cotton wads were stuffed inside of his brain and ears. He hadn't been aware of his body at first, almost as if he had been floating in space and he wasn't aware of his physical form until this started hurting.

Pain.

The feeling slowly trickled inside. His brain was finally able to register the sensation and it didn't take long for him to voice out his complaints to whoever was there with him.

"Jeongguk? Nurse, I think something's wrong."

A sort of shuffling, a sound of plastic and then another hushed whisper.

"The pain should slowly start to go away now. I'm going to call the doctor now that he's starting to wake up. Excuse me."

Jeongguk was able recognize one voice and one name.

Nurse. This meant he was in a hospital and the beeping he heard was some machine in the room measuring his vital systems.

The voice. His mother. Sounding sober for once.

"Jeonggukie?"

She definitely sounded sober. But why was she here? And where was Taehyung? And why was he suddenly crying?

"Oh no, don't be sad."

How could he not be? The sensation was deeply burrowed in the pit of his stomach. He was undeniable sad. Tears poured out of his eyes, the warm streaks dripping down his cheeks until they hit the pillow underneath him.

He had been beaten up by stupid jocks who had left him to die on the parking lot's cold asphalt. His mother had come instead of his boyfriend and for this one stupid time where he was the one in the hospital she was the one sober.

"It's not that bad! They said you only have a light concussion and a few bruised ribs. Nothing's broken and everything's patched up!"

How could she sound so cheery when her son was in the hospital bed, obviously beaten up and lost?

He still hadn't opened his eyes but he could already imagine the state his body was in. The pain his body had gone through would hit like a truck again once the painkillers stopped working.

His chest and stomach would be an unnatural color, he'd have cuts and bruises and bandages trying to patch up the damage done to him. Could he attempt to walk? He remembered someone kicking him in the leg, and his lower back had caught a kick when he had tried to curl up to protect his stomach and face for any more hits.

He was scared to open his eyes and to have to accept the situation he was in. Maybe if he tried imaging hard enough he'd be back in bed with Taehyung and this beeping could just be the phone alarm displaying its annoyance with the morning.

Days never really quite went how you expected them to go, did they?

poor ggukie got beaten up i had nothing to do with the matter i have no idea what you're talking about i'm innocent sir