Small Steps

She was lost in her thoughts when she heard him cough badly.
She immediately rushed towards him and started caressing his back.

" Shivaay, what happened? Are you ok? I think its because of the poisonous gas. How could I be so irresponsible, i should have got you checked immediately."
Annika said as tears started to pour out of her eyes. Shivaay saw this and pressed her hand which was placed on his cheeks, in an attempt to relax her.

" I..am ...fine" shivaay said trying to control his coughing.

" No ..you are not...I will call the doctor"
Saying this Annika rushed to fetch her phone.

After calling the doctor, Annika helped shivaay to go inside their room. She gently placed his head on the pillows and adjusted the cushions behind him while herself being anxious.

" Annika" shivaay uttered, but Annika was too lost in her worry to respond.
" Annika " shivaay said little loudly to which Annika shuddered.

" What happened shivaay, are you feeling uneasy? Is it paining anywhere" Annika said as she started to check on him.

" Ms.Annika"
She heard someone call her, she went towards the door and saw Dr. Titli enter . She greeted her and showed her the way towards their room.

" Doctor, he got exposed to some poisonous gas. Please check whether he is fine, he was coughing so badly. He appears wea.."

She stopped as the felt someone's hand on her shoulder.

" Don't worry Ms.annika, I will check him . You stay relaxed."

Doctor approached shivaay and sat near the bed ,on a stool. She forwarded her hand to take shivaay's wrist, in an attempt to check his pulse rate. Shivaay immediately flinched back.

Seeing this, Annika rushed towards shivaay and sat near him on the bed.

She carresed his hair softly and said
" Its ok shivaay, she is a doctor and she is just hear to check you. I am with you right, there is nothing to be scared about "

Shivaay nodded and dropped his head on Annika's shoulder.
He was about to close his eyes when he heard Annika's words.

" No need to close your eyes shivaay, see the touch, feel it and you will know that it's not wrong . Not every touch is bad, not everyone has intentions of harm . Touch is one of the most beautiful senses that God has given us . You trust me right, everything will be fine"

Shivaay saw as the doctor approached to take his hand, his body stiffened but he did not flinch back . He was ready to take a step further, even though a small one, but he was going to do it for Annika.

After checking his condition thoroughly , doctor titli declared that he was fine and would just have to take some prescribed medicines and not exert much . Greeting shivaay Annika a good bye, doctor left.

" I am so happy you are fine shivaay" Annika said with a big smile on her face.
Shivaay smiled back seeing her so happy.

She immediately engulfed him into a tight hug while shivaay rested his face  on the crook of her neck.

" Annika " shivaay exclaimed.
" Ha shivaay"

" The proofs.."
Annika immediately put a palm on his mouth. How would she say that she lost the proofs. How could she say that they won't be able to give justice to their dead parents.

" Shivaay, let's not talk about anything else. You are fine and only that is important to me " Annika said as she cupped shivaay's face.

" Annika I wanted to say that the proofs are.."

" Please shivaay, yes I lost the proofs . But what could I do, nothing mattered to me more than you. Yes I took the decision on behalf of both of us. But for the first time in my life I am getting my happiness, I am getting you. I will not let anything snatch you away from me , not even our past . "
Annika shouted as she broke down. She went through a hard rollercoaster of many emotions that day which took a toll on her and finally the volcano erupted.
She clutched shivaay's collar tightly in her fists and cried out loud . She hid herself in his chest and encircled her arms around his waist tightly.

Shivaay put his hand protectively on Annika's head and smiled. Yes he smiled with glistening eyes. He couldn't see her cry, he couldn't see her break. But he felt happy, happy that she learnt to express her emotions. Happy that she didn't bury pain inside herself. Happy that she trusted him to show her vulnerable side. So he just let her cry.
Her sobs broke his heart, so he pulled her even closer . But he wasn't going to wipe her tears away, those tears were worth her many emotionless years.

He kissed her hairs and continously carresed her. Eventually her sobs reduced and he felt her breathing become normal. They pulled apart and Annika looked at shivaay with innocent, puffy eyes.
Shivaay thought how she was her strong queen and innocent princess at the same time . He saw her red nose and kissed her there to which Annika blushed. Annika cherished their emotional intimacy, it made her feel complete.

" Annika. I ..I don't know how to say but it made me feel so special that I am the number one person in someone's life. You chose me over your own struggles, your haunting past , your melancholy. I have never felt so special"
Shivaay said as his voice broke.

" Shivaay, you are not the number one person in my life"

Annika smiled as she saw shivaay's expressions change on her words. She saw his lips curve downwards like a small baby showing that He was sad.

" Shivaay, how can you be the number one person in my life when you are my entire life , my everything? "
Annika spoke as she pulled his cheeks to which Shivaay blushed. 

" Annika, you don't need to feel guilty about the proofs "

" Why? "

Before shivaay could reply, they heard someone's voice.

" Billu"

Hi guys.
I am so sorry for updating so late and so thankful that all of you waited for the story patiently. Thank you for giving so much love . Next update will mostly be the last update of this book. Please do give your feedback guys .