Chapter 14: Last night

The morning of the third day came early. That time, Wangji did not go back to the bed to sleep. He sat on the porch, gazing at the darkness, only the distant sound of waves crashing against the sand accompanied him.

He had been a decent man all his life and that was the first time in his life he did something outside of the rule book.

Thats right.

He had always been the good twin brother. Yibo was the trouble maker. They were like two poles of the same magnet created from the same mold but turned out quite different.

Deep down, he blamed himself for letting the situation go out of control. Wangji sipped the hot oolong tea on his hand. He had brought the whole pitcher of hot water maker from the pantry out on the porch so he could refill his cup over and over as needed. The warm liquid made him sober and alert. He thought if he was a smoker he would be puffing the night away.

But he wasn't.

The dark sky soon lightened at the first breath of daybreak. The sky was bathed in deep strokes of crimson and salmon hues.

Xiaozhan...

You did say you wanted to watch the sunrise.

It was their last day there and Xiaozhan would miss it.

The door of the porch slid open, startling his deep thought.

Xiaozhan's body was wrapped in the hotel's white blanket. Just as he was left last night.

"Awake?"

He nodded, rubbing his eyes.

His hair was a mess and he struggled to open his eyes.

Just like that, he sat himself beside Wangji. Where he sat, Wangji noticed Xiaozhan had left a respectful gap between them.

How ironic, considering their lack of distance just few hours before.

"I set the alarm so I wouldn't miss the sunrise."

Wanji nodded silently. The first light of dawn reflected in his eyes.

True enough, the sunrise here was much more beautiful in magnitude than the one back home.

"what is it you're drinking? can I have some?"

Wangji poured the hot water from the pitcher onto the his glass. It was still warm since he reheated the water not too long ago. His index finger slipped inside the ring handle of the cup and handed it to the one beside him.

"Thanks."

His hands slipped out from the blanket and took the cup from his hands. In the process, their fingers brushed lightly against each other's skin. Wangji felt an electric shock running through his body where their skin touch.

Xiaozhan's red lips wrapped around the edge of the cup, sipping the liquid inside. Just moments before, Wangji had also drank the same way, from that same spot.

An indirect kiss.

Memories of last night that he struggled to forget came flooding in, making the blood underneath his skin heat up. Wangji gazed at Xiaozhan, as if entranced by the beautiful boy who seemed totally clueless about causing the turmoil in his heart. His blanket had slipped from his shoulders and down to his stomach. He could see the red nipples that he had restrained himself so hard from fondling just a few hours before. Xiaozhan caught his heated gaze and blushed slightly.

"Don't look at me like that.. You're making me shy."

Ha!

"You weren't all shy last night. Why the change in attitude?"