The Unexpected Return

I stood across the street looking at the only dead still house around Hamstead Heath and felt no urge to enter. The culprit who had erased peace from my family was the ‘bloofer man’, a well-known tale character especially here at the Shooter’s Hill Side. S

ome say it is a true story while others say it was made-up and is narrated to scare younger children. However, the truth lies within our family where it all started. Having asked many times, the elders have always ignored my curiosity. Hence, I have given up my interrogation. 

The story of the bloofer man is about a creature called a vampire who suck human’s blood and  is believed to have visited the Shooter’s Hill Side only once and have had bitten a child who killed it. To my knowledge the child was my late grandfather and so our family still fear the return of the bloofer lady but I believe the fearful beast will never return.

Unwillingly I walked into the house which gave off disgusting stench of garlic and here I always wondered why my friends were keen in never visiting again.

The whole house was decorated with garlands of garlic except my room where I have secretly emptied the source of suffocation. My room is the only place where I can breathe and feel safe, the only place where being locked in feels like freedom.

I hurried into my fairy-land, got dressed in my finest clothes and headed to the front door in tip-toes.

“Where are you going? And why wear fine clothing?” came a voice from behind.

After a silence I replied, “To a party mama. I did tell you about it.”

I knew I was going to be stopped this time again and held the knob tightly. “No going outside when it is this late”, mama ordered.

This time I was not going to do as they wished. I flung the door open and ran until I could no longer hear her voice calling out my name.

It was the first time I had gone against my mother and acted upon my will. I was unaware of the surrounding as my will to escape had controlled my senses but now I had calmed down. There I stood at the entrance of the Hill Side Park where I used to often come with my grandfather as a child. The sun was low and a reddish colour was being emitted. I no longer had the wish to attend the party and so decided to spend the evening here at the park.

I sat on a bench between two oak trees and a few furze bushes beside it. I recall coming here with grandpa once in a while and listening to his stories about creatures he fought. At that time I used to look at him like those brave soldiers in fairytales.

As I sat there listening to some grandmas bickering about their disappointment in life, I found myself getting tired.

*****************

I must have fallen asleep because I was woken up with a cold breeze touching my naked arms. I looked around and darkness had already covered the place. No life stir around and I figured that it was getting very late. I got ready to go when I heard an unclear sound. I turned around and saw nothing wondering if it was just my imagination.

On the entrance I could see the only visible street light flickering and I walked forward. I heard it again but this time more clearly. I could hear wings flapping nearby, not just one but many. Too afraid to turn back I ran towards the entrance as the sound got louder. I ran with all my might unknown of what was behind me. I ran splashing puddles of water dirtying my beautiful sandals. I ran for my life.

The flapping got nearer and a few moments later flock of bats flew right above my head towards the huge moon. I was taken aback making me stop and stare at the amazement right before me. A figure stood in front of me covered by the dark. My legs had given up and ignored my mental command to run away. I stood there petrified as he ascended forward into the light. 

I could see a tall man, his face was pale and his lips were red as blood. His eyes gleamed like the stars as he smirked at me showing his unusual long and sharp canines. As the killer slowly moved forward I could feel my heart burning like it was about to explode.

The last thing I knew was everything around me was getting dark and he stood inches away from me.

I revived consciousness and found myself in an unfamiliar room. There was only a huge window and no doors. I stood up and looked out. It was still night meaning I must have fainted for a short time.I wondered why I was still alive since I should have already been torn to pieces by the killer.

As I was searching for an escape I saw a huge bat flying across the moonlight. I hurriedly shut the window instinctively knowing an welcoming invitation would be a mistake but it was useless since he broke the window and entered. I had no hope this time. My enemy was much stronger than I was.

He looked at me and laughed. “The mighty warrior has a weakling as his descendant? She is the one I avenge upon? When I promised my father to avenge his death I never knew it would be easy.” I stood there thinking it would be better if he killed me right away rather than torture me.

He spoke again, “Now fair lady, this will be your end and my promise will have been fulfilled. With your death I will have avenged and with it your grandfather will have lost.”

I now knew clearly what he was after.

He wanted me to die as a punishment for what my grandfather had done.

My trembling voice murmered "It was not me who committed the sin. It was my ..."

He grabbed my neck before I could beg for mercy. Was I going to die? I gasped for air as my neck crushed between his large paw. I struggled for my life, for a breath.

He grinned and let me go.

"I am going to enjoy this victory slowly", he said.

I looked at him standing on the scattered glasses with no reflection. Had I listened to my mother this would not have happened.

But I did carry the blood, the strength, the courage of my ancestors. My mind processed like a machine for solutions and my eyes continuously averted to the sharp tools on the ground.

As he moved closer I picked up my only hope and pointed towards him. I ran aiming straight at his heart but he was too fast for me. Like lightening he flew behind me and pushed me to the ground. I screamed with pain as I fell on the dangerous glass spillage.

I was already too helpless so I knew the only thing I can do was end my life than be killed. I was not going to give him the satisfaction of defeating his enemy, I was not going to let him fulfil his promise.

I gazed on my reflection for one last time hoping this story would also remain in the hearts of people just like my grandfather's did. Tears poured down my cheek and now this was my farewell to the world.

I felt him come close so I hurriedly pressed a glass within my heart as deep as I could until the agony became numb and then I took my last breath.

Once again the vampires had lost against us humans.