Chapter 4

"Hi, Charlotte." I say as I enter the car. This is the first time I'm talking to her since the incident (well that's just two days, but that's a long time for someone who's living in the same house as I).

She looks at me, gives me a scowl, and looks away. Okay, maybe too soon.

"So are you guys excited to be back in school?" Mom asks, knowing there's no point in asking such a question. She is trying to fill the awkward silence present in the car.

"Um, yeah, I guess." I reply out of respect. 

Charlotte stays silent. Oh well.

A few minutes later, Mom drops us off at the entrance to SCA. SCA is one massive building. The school has a football and soccer field at its back. The basketball court is inside the gym, where we do P.E. The lockers and most of the classrooms are on the ground floor. Upstairs are the different science labs. It's basically a pretty good school.

I spot a mass of kids piling into the building. It won't be easy finding my friends in this case. We get out of the car and just as I wonder how I'd meet my friends, Charlotte is off with her gang. Again, I'm on my own.

As I begin to make my way to the entrance, I hear a voice, "Kevin!"

I turn around to see Monica running towards me. 

"Oh! Hey, Monica!" I reply. I love my life!

She gives me a hug, "Wow, it's been a whole month!"

A hug!? Is it my birthday? 

"Haha, yeah! I've missed you so much." You're pushing it, Kevin.

"Same here. Great to be back in school. By the way, have you seen Chad?"

"Chad? No, I just got here."

She looks disappointed, "Oh okay. No worries."

She walks past me and calls another student, asking if he knew where Chad was. So she just came to me to ask for Chad? It's all about Chad; it always is.

"Kevin!" 

I turn around to see Chad walking my way. Ironic.

I run to meet him, "Chad, my boy! Ha, great to see you."

"Yeah, man. It's good to get back to this hell hole - I mean, um, lovely sanctuary of top-class education." Chad jokes. He's always been funny.

"Keep your voice low. You might get detention on your first day." I laugh,

"Oh, joy! The happy room! Any prisoners there yet?"

"Not yet." I give him a wink.

"Chaaaaddd!" A high voice comes from behind us.

"Here comes Jolie." I warn Chad. "Better put on your armor."

Jolie is Chad's girlfriend. She's a pretty, blonde girl in our class. Usually, she's crazy and extremely funny; an outward person. Although she has that amiable demeanor, she can be very snobbish when she has one of her "mood swings". Oh, and she's over-obsessed with Chad, not that I blame her.

She jumps on Chad from behind, "Chaaaaad!"

Affection other than hugging was not allowed in school so all of their "business" was done either off-campus or discreetly in school. Aware of the teachers around, Jolie quickly jumps off his back and hugs my friend.

"Jooolllliiiieeee!! I've missed you to the sun and back!" Chad hugs her back. Although Chad often thought Jolie overdid things a little, he still liked her all the way.