Chapter Fifty-Three

Start from the beginning

"Are you okay?" he asked, his breath whispering against my ear from where he laid behind me, his arm cushioning my head.

I nodded and closed my eyes. "I will be. Can we sleep for a bit? I'm still exhausted."

Calin's arm draped around my waist and he pulled me in closer. I inhaled his scent and let his emotions calm me.

*****

I blinked, feeling the weight of someone watching me.

My eyes darted around, noticing Onyx sleeping on the floor in front of the couch. By the sound of his breathing, I could tell that Calin hadn't woken. Lifting my gaze, I stopped when I found Islene sitting in the armchair across from us.

She smiled. "Morning."

I licked my lips. "Morning," I whispered so I didn't wake Calin.

Islene watched us for a moment, tilting her head, but her smile didn't waver. "Did it get cold at the clearing?"

"You could say that. Devland showed up."

"Oh?" Her eyes widened.

"Yeah. Apparently, he truly does track me."

"That's... not good."

"I know."

"You talked to Aiden?" she asked. "I know he started the process to have you emancipated, but he also said Devland is contesting it."

"When did he tell you that? He told me Devland would, not that he has."

"We spoke this morning," she said. "He's filed the papers and Devland has contested it, so Aiden is asking the court to let you stay with me until it's figured out. Kind of like... when a child is taken into foster care until their parents are proven to be fit. Given Devland's status, I imagine it's a very temporary solution, but hopefully Aiden can find reasons to delay."

"Don't you have to be approved or something?"

"We fostered children before, so it shouldn't be a process." Leaning forward, Islene rested her elbows on her knees. "That being said, I think we should look at planning ahead. There's a lot that you still don't know, and I feel an urgency for you to learn it."

"What are you suggesting?"

"Do you want to learn your mother's secrets?"

I exhaled. "More than anything."

Islene leaned back and nodded. "Then you'll finish your schooling by correspondence. As a member of Council, you can complete your mandatory WC training with me as a work study. I don't think Mr. Corbin will put up a fuss about not having you finish your courses in the school."

"Why won't I be able to go to school?"

"Because, Nora. I told you that you'll have to discover these secrets on your own," she said. "Some of them can be found here in Wickenton. Others... Well, let's just say that we have some traveling to do."

"What about Calin?"

"He can come."

"And Maible?"

Islene shook her head and lowered her gaze. After a moment, she lifted it to meet mine once more. "Devland picked her up shortly after the two of you returned. Since her father left her mother, I guess Maible is going to be staying at the Manor for a while until her abilities aren't a threat to anyone."

I sucked in a breath, wishing I could take back the suggestion I'd made to Devland. I didn't want her to fall under his control, but she needed someone to show her how to deal with what she'd inherited. Since I already had so much to devote my time to, I hoped he would pick up his fatherly duty with at least one of his daughters. If not, Maible might become a danger to herself and others.

On the other hand, putting her in his grasp could be a danger of its own.

I didn't know how to balance the guilt of possible consequences.

Why did she feel like my responsibility? Just because I'd unbound her didn't mean I'd birthed her, but... Aside from Devland, she was the last remaining blood relative that I knew I had. No matter that my head told me to let go, my heart didn't want her to get hurt, and I didn't think I could handle it if she wound up harming me.

"Don't worry, Nora," Islene said as though knowing my concern. "Devland won't do anything. The entire Council is watching him right now after learning that Maible was bound without their knowledge. They know she is his daughter and he's likely the one who did it. Binding someone without their knowledge is highly unethical. They won't stand for him to commit any more wrongs as a leader."

The breath I was holding whooshed out. I nodded, inhaling. As I released another breath, I said, "Okay. I'd like to figure things out, but I need Calin with me."

Islene smiled wide and a spark lit her eye as her gaze once again darted between us on the couch. "Oh, I know you do." As she stood, she laughed lightly. "Don't worry, that will make sense soon, as well. I'll let you sleep while I make plans."

We'll make sense?

How did that make sense?

The door shut loudly, and I felt a shot of energy go through me, followed by a sense of calm. I lifted my head to look behind me as Calin began to stir.

"What's going on?" he asked, not opening his eyes.

I laid back down, cradling my cheek with my hands. "I don't know. Go back to sleep and we can find out together later."

I felt his lips against the crown of my head before his breathing regulated once more. Closing my eyes, I focused on the sound of his breaths until sleep came, all the while feeling as though one weight was lifted only as another, much heavier mass had been placed at the bottom of my stomach.

I was going to learn the secrets my mother had hidden.

All I had to give up was my relationship with Maible.

Though I'd made the only decision I thought I could—my mother's secrets were important enough for Zachariah to return from the dead, and he'd shown me I had a duty to fix the wrongs in WickentonI didn't know if it was the right one. Yes, I felt the truth in what Zachariah had said but I worried that time was running out to fix things and help Maible—no matter what I chose, I wouldn't have a chance to do both.

Ultimately, I based my decision on the age-old dilemma of what I assumed meant helping many versus saving my relationship with Maible even though I knew that in Devland's hands, there was no way that our friendship, never mind our bond as newfound sisters, would survive.

The end... for now.