014

I tumbled out of bed the moment my eyes fluttered open, tangled in sheets, and pushing through mountains of pillows as I stumbled across the cold marbled floors of my bedroom and headed straight for the bathroom to take a shower. "Today I won't be late," I mumbled to myself, drying off as I turned to the wall of windows from which warm rays of sunlight filtered into the room, "Today I won't be left behind."

My breathing had turned ragged by the time I had finally gotten the suit on, hurrying around the room to comb my hair and inhale the breakfast that had appeared on my bed earlier, no doubt the work of Nari or Jinae, I thought, choking on a piece of toast as both handmaidens suddenly poked their heads through the door at that moment.

"We know that you're trying," Jinae said, a slight edge of panic in her voice as Nari gestured for me to join them, "But we're running late so can you maybe hurry a bit faster?" she hissed, rolling her eyes at me as I continued to fight for air through the piece of bread stuck in my throat, patting me on the back as she pulled me out of the door and after Nari who was already leading the way through the palace.

I mentally cursed at myself for not waking up earlier as I hurried down the path of the throne room leading to the wall of windows displaying the view of Martell below and flanking the eight thrones beneath it.

The enormous room was just as grand as I remembered it; a mass of polished floors that covered the entire space, almost mirror-like, reflecting the row of columns that rose up along my sides as my footsteps echoed off the marbled floor, their gilded surfaces looking almost infinitely tall, matching perfectly with the details along the walls, the intricate windowsills reflecting the sunlight and making the room glow warmly in the golden hues of summer.

Like when I had arrived at the Palace of Atlas, I once again found myself unable to stop my eyes away from drifting from the long row of curved windows above me, a long dome letting in warm rays of sunlight that lit up my path as I scurried forward, forcing my gaze back to the thrones as I finally came to a halt next to Taeyong.

The contestants, all clad in the same white training suits as me, bowed at the kings and I quickly followed their example though the gesture seemed almost foreign, without meaning, considering how I had gotten to know the males behind all of the flowing white robes, royal wealth, and golden crowns during the last week.

My eyes immediately flickered to the copper-haired male beside me as I straightened again, taking in his sharp features, handsome face, his eyes that kept staring straight ahead, not acknowledging me despite knowing that he had my attention.

He looked different, I realized, though other than the muscle he had built up during the last week, it was hard to tell if it was sadness, fear, or anger that weighed down on him, or maybe loneliness, I thought, remembering how the King of the North had told me that my best friend had locked himself away and denied anyone access, or the opportunity, to even as much as talk to him.

A lot had happened in a weak, I told myself, feeling my fingertips twitch with the need to reach out and touch him, to comfort him, wanting to say something just as a deep voice rang out through the silent throne room.

"I'm happy to see that you're all looking well," Kim Namjoon, the official announcer and host of The Trials of The Eight Mountains said as he strolled into the room, his mop of blue hair a bright contrast to the irritation, no, the anger, that was slowly but surely brewing within me as I kept my gaze fixed on Taeyong's side profile, the man still not moving as much as an inch, not sparing me a single glance.

"My role here today is simply to keep an eye on things and make sure that the cameras are rolling, the announcer continued, "the drones will keep out of your way so please don't let us distract you," he chuckled, some of the other contestant joining in despite the seriousness of the situation, of the choices the kings would make today, "I wish you the best of luck."