IX

Liar

As soon as Aaron knew the stalker was Jack's teacher, he asked Penelope to check every address under the name of Rose Miranda. She only had one property, an apartment twenty minutes away. He dangerously went to check it on his own to confront her, but no one was there. She was smart, of course she had already found another place to hide.

Three days passed by, dodging the issue like a wimp, struggling with how he was going to tell Allison about his affair, and barely got any sleep so those three days felt more like a single one. 

And each day he got a new picture sent to his apartment, inside the same kind of envelopes that looked handmade. But these photos were more explicit than the others, showing his entire... masculinity. 

He felt so vulnerable. A moment that was supposed to be intimate was registered by someone else and will be out there forever probably since he didn't know if Rose shared those files with other people. 

Aaron had only one day left, so he couldn't avoid it anymore. But before calling Allison he called Haley, like he did for the past three days to make sure Jack wasn't going to school. He didn't tell his ex wife the real reason, just that there was a dangerous person at school but if he warned anyone at the establishment, it could cause mass panic. Which was a speculation.

Then it was Allison's turn. He asked her to come to his office with the classic 'we need to talk' text.

Two hours later she was there, sitting on the other side of his desk in front of him, holding her purse tight.

"So are you gonna tell me what's going on with you? Did I do something to upset you?" She has been feeling down those past few days, being ignored by him and her daughter.

"No, you didn't do anything. I did." Aaron took a deep breath before opening his mouth again. "I cheated on you."

Allison's face was expressionless, but she blinked a hundred times.

"I cheated on you too," she blurted out. Aaron did not expect that answer, but somehow it made him feel relieved.

"What? When?" He asked, just out of curiosity, to know if it happened before or after he cheated.

"Like a week ago. Well it doesn't matter. We're even now so, that's it?" Aaron was so afraid to tell her the entire truth. There was no way the stalker could know. So he didn't.

"Yes."

"Well, thanks for letting me know, I guess. I have to go, my shift starts soon."

That went way better than Aaron expected, but not even fifteen minutes later he got a text from an unknown number.

"I told you I was going to know if you told her the truth or not."

Along with a picture of Jack sitting in the backseat of a car he didn't recognize, holding his favorite teddy bear.

His heart missed a beat, feeling his entire body sweat cold as his vision became blurry.

This was not really happening. He fucked up. He should've done more to find Rose earlier, but he truly didn't think she was a dangerous person.

Aaron had to call Haley, looking for her name on his phone desperately. "Is Jack with you."

"Hello to you too."

"Haley I'm being serious," he snapped.

"Jeez, yes he's with me.  I mean he's in his room, why?"

"Go check on him now," he ordered, already getting ready to go to her house.

Haley felt something was off on her ex husband's voice and did as he said, walking upstairs, "Jack?"