Chapter 2

They left Shanahan’s in a food coma, a happy fog that lasted for the rest of the day. With full stomachs and light heads, they retraced their steps back to Trinity and then around the campus to O’Neill’s to watch the match. Even hours later, once it had ended, Brian and Eoin were still too stuffed from their epic lunch to want dinner. They stayed on at O’Neill’s until it was time for Aisling’s party. 

The Odeon was a grand sort of place that spanned a city block. Stone steps and columns ran the length of the exterior, while inside the old train station had high ceilings and many rooms to explore. Aisling’s parents had rented the entire place for her. 

The boys could hear music as they approached. The large wooden doors were wide open to welcome the guests, and once inside they were immediately directed toward the bar. Spread along the back wall, nearly the entire length of the place, this bar was the centerpiece of the venue. A “Congratulations Aisling!” banner hung over it, and the top was full of champagne glasses.

“Would you like a Dream?’” the bartender asked when they were close enough to hear. He gestured to the glasses on the bar top.   “Our drink of the evening. Help yourselves, or we have a full menu available.” Brian rolled his eyes. Aisling is the Irish word for “dream.”

On the either side of the bar stood a directory of sorts. Each room in the place appeared to have its own theme: the Welcome Station, Monte Carlo, the Long Room, New York, Winter Wonderland, Carnivale, the Milky Way, and Paris.

“God Bless our D4 friends,” Brian remarked when he saw the extent of the party.

D4 was an affluent section of Dublin, and plenty of students both in undergrad and postgrad courses at Trinity called it home. Aisling was one such student, but this party was beyond any typical D4 showing.

They headed toward the Carnivale room first. A man stood at the door with a tray of Venetian masks for the guests to choose from. Purple, green and gold cloth was draped across the ceiling and down the walls, while streamers dangled just above their heads. Waiters weaved through the guests with trays of Bellinis. 

Eoin couldn't handle any more champagne, and one look at Brian's face told him Brian felt the same way. They spotted a table at the far end of the room featuring an array of bottled beers and went for it without exchanging a word.

Most of the girls were living it up on the dance floor, but as Eoin and Brian made their way around the perimeter, they met the hostess herself. 

“Ah! Here's the lady of the hour!” Brian greeted her. She smiled, hiding behind a black mask with a sizable plume of feathers protruding from the top. 

“Hey Ash, terrific party! Thanks so much for the invite.” Eoin said. He felt the heat rising from his neck. She looked amazing.

“Thanks lads, glad you could make it. Did you just arrive?”

“Yeah, this room is our first stop.” 

“Nice mask,” Brian added. Eoin knew he meant “expensive.”

“Thanks! I got it in Venice last year.”

“Of course you did,” Brian mumbled behind his smile. Thankfully for Eoin, the music was loud enough that Aisling didn’t hear.

“But you don't have masks! Didn't you see the tray when you came in?”

“We did," Brian said, gently mocking her excitement, "but we want to make our rounds and see the other rooms. We just popped in to check this one out.”

“Okay, okay. Well enjoy yourselves, and don't miss the Milky Way room across the hall. I'll catch up with you later!” And she was gone onto the dance floor. Eoin was glad to escape the masks, but he preferred to linger here a while longer.