Chapter 1 - Part 2

“Jesus, way to give me a heart attack Eoin!”  Brian was waiting for him just outside the door of the great hall with an incredulous and slightly bemused look on his face. Brian was Eoin’s apathetic study partner and closest friend at school. “I know you’re a genius and everything, but have a little consideration for your friends next time and show up before the proctor says start, will ya?”  

Eoin laughed nervously, unable to believe that he’d almost missed the test. “Will do, mate. Sorry about that.”

“Good. Now let’s go celebrate."

“It’s only one o’clock!” Eoin really wanted to celebrate the end of his Masters course with a nap.

“Yes, and?” Brian said, raising an eyebrow. “It's the perfect time for a nice lunch before the match starts, and Aisling’s party later. I’m thinking Shanahan's? Or Thornton’s? What do you fancy, meat or fish?”

Generally speaking, there was no resisting Brian, and Eoin's desire to do so was waning.  A choice steak and a good pint sounded like heaven right now as his new-found freedom started to settle in.  

“Ah sure, we’ve earned it, haven’t we?”

“Excellent! Now let's get out of here," Brian said, making for the front gate. “This counts as a school expense, don’t you think? It’s a necessary academic activity after all the studying and testing we've been through.”

“Sound logic, surely,” Eoin laughed, and off they went to for a self-congratulatory feast.

Brian and Eoin met just out of undergrad as new apprentices at the Bank of Ireland. They bonded over long, hard hours in their first 2 years there, celebrated when they were both accepted into the executive track, and kept each other sane through the rigors of their masters degree. The Bank required (and funded) an MSc in Finance before any further on-the-job training was had. The Bank was generous, providing tuition, lodging, and a stipend for books, food, and other living expenses.

In truth, they’d had a grand time going back to school, despite all the whingeing they did about it.

As they walked into Shanahan’s on the Green, though, with its richly decorated interior and the prime view of St. Stephen’s Green outside, Eoin realized he was ready to take his place as a corporate executive.  This place was class. 

“Hello, and welcome to Shanahan’s,” the pretty hostess greeted them. “Are you gents here for drinks, or lunch?”

“Why not both? But drinks first, to wash away the bad taste of exams.”  Brian flashed his easy smile at the girl and followed with a wink. 

“Oh! Is this a celebration then? How lovely.” She reached under the host podium for two drink menus. “Follow me, please.” They went through the tiny vestibule and down the stairs toward the bar room.  

The Shanahan's bar was called the Oval Office, and the place was an homage to the American presidency. An oversized mahogany bar dominated the space, accompanied by plush leather chairs, mint green wallpaper, and a hunter green carpet patterned with golden presidential seals.

“What course have you finished?” she asked as they went.

Brian was silent, forcing Eoin to join their chat.

“Well, it’s a degree we’ve finished, actually. A masters in finance,” he told her. She looked back over her shoulder and raised her eyebrows in reaction.

“My goodness, that does merit a celebration.” She led them halfway across the room to a plush booth and laid their menus down on the table. “Well good for ye, lads. That’s quite an accomplishment. Cheers!” She turned to go, but Brian wasn't ready to release her just yet.