Ending

© All Rights Reserved 2014

INTRO

TIME: ENDING

"...There's not much left to do, ma'am. I'm sorry."

"There has to be another way, Doctor." Her voice cracked with each other. "He's my son. We can't just wait for him to—" She wasn't able to finish, but everyone knew what she meant.

Waiting...

That was probably the most painful part. We wait because we were told to. We wait because that was all there is to do—that was all we can do.

Subconsciously, I twirled the watch on my wrist, tightening then loosening it again as though the action could take me away to a different time.

"Gracie," I turned at my name and saw Jonah Haven, two paper cups in his hands. The smell of cheap coffee lingered as he neared. I stood straighter and waited for him to say something. Flipping his dark blonde hair from his eyes, he nodded. "I didn't know you're here today."

"I just came in from school. I wanted to see him."

"Well, he's inside." He said softly as if I was to burst into tears like his mother.

Instead, I smiled and squeezed his arm. "I'm going in. Are you coming?"

"Nah, I'll leave you two alone. I'll take my mom somewhere to eat too."

I nodded. We walked side by side towards where Jade was, cradling herself in silent tears. As soon as she saw us approach, she wiped her cheeks. "Gracelyn! Is... Is your mom here?"

"She just dropped me off."

Jonah handed her one of the cups. "C'mon, mom. Let's grab something to eat, leave the kids alone for a minute."

The woman took the coffee absentmindedly. "But—"

"We'll be back in a few minutes. You need to save your strength, mom. Grace got this covered, right?"

I nodded smiling. "We'll be okay, Jade."

She glanced at the room with her puffy eyes sighing. "A-alright, but... You will call me if anything happens, right?"

"There's twenty nurses here, mom. They'll be alright." Jonah put a hand on his mother's back ushering her. I reassured her with a smile then sent her son a grateful look. He sent me a handsome wink before going off on their way to the elevator I used.

I bit my lip tightening my wrist watch again.

Then I went in.

He was on the bed, a stern look on his face as he fiddles with the remote. It took him a moment to realize I was in the room but when he did, he put his hand down and gave me a crooked smile. "Gracie."

The second painful part was his smile. It hurt more than a thousand knives stabbing me, and he has no clue how much it drills me inside. I couldn't return it.

Noticing this, his face dropped a little but he didn't say anything. Instead, he waved at me to come forth.

I did. He tilted his head, sky blue eyes squinting under the bangs of his hair. "Gracie, you look horrible."

I smiled a little. "Right back at you."

His smile widened as he took my hand. I scooted closer to him and put a hand over our tangled ones, smiling. "How are you, Sam?"

"Healthy as a horse," He replied gesturing at himself. "Though this place is sucks, Grace. The service is awful; the food is crappy. Let's just order a pizza or something."