Chapter II

As time passed, I felt my leash tightened. It was clear no one wished for me to leave Hogwarts grounds, even with Christmas fast approaching. I'd spend the last several holidays with Renee and her wonderful family. Renee came from muggle parents, but had wonderfully magical aunts, uncles, and cousins. I was always welcome with open arms, and greatly enjoyed my time on the countryside with them- baking, decorating, and trying to hold memories of every moment.

I was packing my things before the holiday feast when I noticed Dumbledore standing at my door. He rarely made appearances in the dungeons.

"I can't protect you out there, Miss Cora." he stated solemnly.

I feared what he would say next so I shrugged it off and continued packing. "I'll be fine headmaster. I need the fresh air and time away, I'm afraid of going mad down here."

"I agree." Dumbledore grabbed my hand and met my gaze. "You need a break and a change of scenery, but I have to ask you to stay on school grounds. I've arranged others to stay with you, even your good friend Renee has agreed to come back early and ring in the new year with you."

I was appalled. Could he do this- deprive me of a Christmas with the closest thing I had to family out of fear?

Nonetheless, a sense of duty overcame me. I still didn't know who I was or why I was so valued, but I needed to do whatever was requested of me. I refused to put others at risk because of my oblivious negligence.

"I'm learning more about who you are Cora." Dumbledore always knew the comforting words to say. "You do have family, blood family, and I will see to it you understand the full picture in time. Please, do this for me."

That evening after dinner, I changed into some warmer clothing and walked Renee to the boats. "I'll write every day," she encouraged. "Mother will make sure she sends presents, and I'll be back a whole week early and we can do whatever you wish!" Renee had a heart of gold. Most of the time I didn't know what I did to deserve her, and I was so excited to see what she did next year when she completed her time at Hogwarts.

All of a sudden, my body went cold. I looked towards to forest to see dementors swarming the area. "Oh god," I whispered. Renee grabbed my hand, "Dumbledore invited them here for protection," she said calmly. "He said they won't bother us or come anywhere near us, they're just to keep anyone from attempting to break in."

I stormed back into the castle, and up the stairs to Dumbledore's office. "I said I needed fresh air and a break, and now I am treated like a prisoner?!" I threw the door open only to find Professor Snape and Dumbledore in a heated conversation. The room went quiet.

"Cora, the forest is forbidden to students," Dumbledore reminded. "You will have free roam of the grounds, they will not bother you."

"I'm not a student, I'm an adult." I took a breath, immediately aware that the two men had been talking about me, planning my life out in a meeting I was unwelcome to attend. I was done, my time at Hogwarts had come to an end.

"I'm leaving, I'm sorry."

I walked out of the office, and as I did I heard Severus race towards the door.

"Don't" instructed Dumbledore. "She needs time to think."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I slowly began to pack my belongings, taking time to reflect on everything I'd experienced in my years here. I flipped through the advanced potions book Professor Snape had leant me, seeing his handwritten notes on the pages sent shivers down my spine.