| XIII |

"They're outside, you know."

Yongbok glances up from his cot, sitting up and shrugging at the farmer that entered the small room, shutting the paper door behind him.

"I know."

"So why don't you...? I thought you wanted to leave?" Changbin catches his gaze, the freckled prince shrugging.

"I don't know. Just trying to postpone the journey. Let's say I've grown attached to this place."

"Stop being dramatic, you've only been here a month and a half." Changbin laughs, crossing his arms. "But you really have to go. The general has been berating me with questions, I think he'll bust in here any second now."

Yongbok laughs, Changbin helping him up to his feet.

"But are you okay?" The farmer murmurs, holding onto the younger's arms, staring up at him.

"I'll live long enough to get to the palace," the freckled prince says. "But... before I leave, thank you. Really, for everything. I don't think all the riches in the world are enough to repay you."

"I told you, you don't have to repay me because you also helped me. It only makes us even, I guess," Changbin offers him a smile. He pats the younger's shoulder as the latter reaches for the fishing pole, an ironic contrast to the royal silk he changed into for the first time since their arrival. But in a way, it all felt worthless. Changbin didn't gawk at him like some material possession, the silks or the riches didn't matter in his eyes. And to Yongbok, that's what made him admirable, truly admirable. He was willing to live content with a simple but harsh life.

"Uhm... I'll miss you, Lee Yongbok." Changbin clears his throat, trying to wipe the pink off his face. "And I really hope you visit again. Maybe then, I can teach you how to raise cattle or... learn how to make straw sandals."

Yongbok's cheeks round into a smile, nodding, "I think that'll be fun."

"Right. So... When you're not busy, visit for a moment. You know I'll be waiting, right?" Changbin murmurs, his eyes soft. A hint of the vulnerability that the farmer never showed ever since their meeting. But Yongbok nods. He didn't know if he'll ever promise his return, but he looked forward to and will actively try to visit. At least he had someone to look forward to. He reaches forward, hesitating before placing a hand on the younger's shoulder. "And when you become king... You'll remember me, right?"

"Of course. I'll send letters if I can." The freckled prince laughs, using the fishing rod to help him wobble outside of the room. At his appearance, the few eunuchs, handmaids, captains and the general bow, the other soldiers on their horses unmoving and still until the freckled prince could mount his horse.

"Your highness, are you feeling well?" The general asks, tilting his head down as Yongbok hobbled over, the eunuchs trying to help him as much as they could.

"I'm fine. It's time to go. Ready, general?"

"Ready, Your Highness."

With the help from the eunuchs and the fishing rod, Yongbok heaves himself onto the horse, trying to bite back a hiss to keep his image in front of the company. As the others got on their horses, Yongbok glances back at the quaint hut, Changbin still standing by the paper door, staring at him.

The farmer tilts his head down in a bow, waving as Yongbok pressed his lips into a thin smile and a nod.

He really didn't want to leave the farmer. But it was just the harsh reality of it all, he guessed. Out there, in the wilderness, nothing mattered. Not rank or social status or background or history. But there, where Yongbok belonged—the capital or towns, it mattered, heavily. Changbin wouldn't be accepted where Yongbok went. And where Yongbok went, Changbin can't go. It was just for the better.