𝟭𝟬. old habits die hard

Start from the beginning

"ARTEMIS?" THE WIZARD King called, pulling the maiden out of her trance. Julius carefully tucked the stray hair in front of his goddaughter's face before proceeding with their short walk.

"Oh, uhm... sorry. I didn't quite catch that. You were saying?" Beads of sweat were visibly dripping on Artemis's forehead as she tried to grasp the context of what seemed like a glazed dream.

But when her eyes landed on their house, her thoughts were consumed with a complex of others that she forgot altogether.

It has been months since the lady's last visit to their Manor which was a few forests away from the Royal Palace. And although both of her parents were supportive of her choice to become a reverenced Magic Knight, she had other responsibilities that needed more regard.

Mainly being the person who is, despite not having the final verdict, closest to ascending the throne.

"I asked how your studies are. You looked like you were daydreaming about cakes again." Julius chuckled as two gates swung upon acknowledging their presence.

The maiden smiled in response before waving off his little comment, "My studies are perfectly fine. Marx may even take interest in my newest creation," she mused, pulling out a bottle of lindern, one of her most famous creations in easing the subtle headaches, and handing it to him whose pupils were replaced with stars.

"I'm sure he'll love this!" he acknowledged, skipping like a child around the fountain and straight to the marbled path walk into their house.

The current mistress of House Kairos wanted everything clean, regal, and tidy, so it was only natural that the color of their walls was painted in a soft cream color. With the windows being oversized and mullioned, it almost seemed like a cathedral outside. 

By night the oak floors and artsy eccentric furniture bathed in the flicker of yellow candlelight from the many candelabras that still hang there. By morning, it would be like a drowsy fantasy of fiction.

To put it simply, it was like a house straight out of fairytales.

When the two made their way into the kitchen, a few maids greeted them, one being given more attention than the others, "Goodness gracious! Where have you been, Your Highness?" Mikasa, Artemis' personal attendant asked.

"I've missed you too, mika-chan. And as usual, I was out studying to who knows where." her equerry sighed, taking mental notes of her mistress's appearance and fixing every tie, or clothe that hang weirdly around her.

Ever since she was but a mere child, Artemis has had Mikasa as her assistant. The very person that went through a lot of trouble making excuses when the young royal sneaked out, or simply the one responsible for coordinating her attire— Mikasa was, and is in charge of all of it.

And considering the fact that Artemis would undoubtedly, in Mikasa's opinion, become the next Queen, the young black-haired girl could only hope that she would be able to fulfill her shoes as the next Queen's most trusted attendant.

Mikasa's eyes widen in horror when Artemis flicked her hand in the air to open the door to their dining area, "Wait, my lady! You should be informed that—"