Chapter 6: Through Hissori's Eyes (First Person)

I can't quite remember what happened from then on that day. Everything was so abrupt. So... Unreal. The next morning when I awoke I thought it was all a dream. But then I saw Touzoku, sleeping like a baby, her fox ears twitching as I shifted in my bed. Touzoku had a hide out in the forest. A sort of tree house she decided was going to be our base of operations. Considering Mitsukai came to her first, I would assume she's the leader in charge of the whole thing.

This.. "Thing", this "quest", it all sounds like some sort of twisted fairytale. I have no choice but to believe it, though. Especially sense I transform myself now. It didn't take too long for me to grasp how it worked. It's pretty simple, actually. The bond between you and your animal has to be strong enough to work. I had recently spent one whole day as a cat. It's nice to be swift, agile, to maneuver in the dark with ease. As a cat I feel so free. Not squeezed by the limited freedom humans think they have so much of.

This... Boy. Shikon. Mastered his transformation shortly after I did. I was not surprised. I can tell he is very powerful, just like a wolf itself. But he's ignorant, too. He doesn't think of the situation and charges right into the center, ready to fight. It will be a disadvantage to him in the future, I'm sure of it. He is kind, though, and friendly. Which is mildly shocking to me considering he's lived a sheltered life.

And then there's Gami. Oh, my hopeless sister. She's still having trouble transforming. The farthest she's gotten is having one panther ear sticking out of her confused head. I'd pray for her, but considering what I've learned, I'm not sure who I'd be praying TO right now.

We're going to search for the next creation today. The one that has the clue "Falls into the hands of royalty".

"Look! Look! This HAS to be it!" Touzoku cam running into the living room, a crumpled old newspaper lying in her hand. She placed it on the glass coffee table. Everybody huddled around it to read the cover.

"This is from 1996! Where'd you find this?" Shikon hollered. Quiet down. There's no need for yelling...

"I found it in a dresser I stole from an old la-" Everyone turned and stared at her. ".. Never mind... eheh... Anyways, read the cover!" So much excitement.. So much yelling.... This is starting to hurt my ears... I decided to quiet it down a little, so I read the title out loud:

"King catches parentless newborn from falling off a bridge and takes her as his own." There was an old picture of a full-bearded man dressed in regal clothing smiling a cheesy smile while holding a naked baby over his shoulder. "Seems a little sketchy to me..."

"Sketchy? That's what I call lucky!" Of course you had to join in on this noise-fest too, Gami. I looked at the back of the baby. Trying to find some sort of sign so they weren't just getting their hopes up. And there it was. Plain and clear on the back of the baby's neck: The mark. As soon as I noticed, the others started noticing too. But they tried to act like they've known all along. Idiots. I can read them like a book. Though Gami's more like a magazine with a lot of ads.

On our way to the castle, the crew wanted to stop and get some ice-cream. Because I get no say unless the situation is serious, and maybe because I'm the youngest, we did. Touzoku got strawberry-vanilla, Gami got mint chocolate-chip, and Shikon got chocolate. I watched as Gami and Shikon were sitting right next to each other, sharing each others ice creams, Gami giggling like a piglet. This is bad. Very bad. Because this means Gami has a crush.

The last time Gami had a crush on someone was when she was in 9th grade. She just started going to high school and fell for the biggest 'player' known to man. She had no clue, of course. And let him use her as many times he wanted. But then she started getting protective. VERY protective. She practically growled at any girl that tried to get close to him. He knew he didn't need her anymore, especially sense she was acting psycho, and he had plenty of other girls to use, so he 'dumped' her. I put 'dumped' in quotes because they weren't actually dating. They were just- yeah, you don't need to know. But after he 'dumped' her, she would come running in my room every night when she got home from school telling me about how awful it was to see her 'ex' every day. She would hold me in her arms constantly crying telling me how much high school sucks and never to mess around with boys. (Not that I was planning to. I was 11 at the time) So, this happened for almost a year until she finally stopped. What I'm trying to say, is whenever SHE has a crush, I'M the one that suffers.