CHAPTER 7: On Purpose ✔️

Start from the beginning

The music continues and I have a little dance break, hopping around the stage just having fun. Behind me on bass, Reggie laughs and does the same. Luke watches us keenly, a pensive look on his face.

Julie dances from where she is, leaning down towards the audience where Nick and Flynn are

Julie dances from where she is, leaning down towards the audience where Nick and Flynn are. Of course, Carrie gives her a disgusted expression and rolls her eyes. My friend loses the pep in her step for a second, then turns her attention from Nick to Flynn.

We goof around until I need to sing again. "But I guess that we did it on purpose. My dreams running into your dreams. It's as if we wished on the same star."

I point up as if there was an imaginary star. Luke catches my gaze and grins proudly at how quickly I've acclimated to being on stage. It's like I was born to be here.

"And my time changing all of your time." I saunter over towards him, then flutter my eyelashes while singing, "it's a butterfly effect on my heart."

I wink flirtatiously on the downbeat and pull away to sing through the next verse and chorus. "All these days I never thought that I would need someone so much. Who knew? Who knew? But I don't think I ever planned for this helpless circumstance with you."

Then I really let myself go. I'm not holding anything back. Luke joins Julie and I singing, "Oh, woah. You're scared, I'm nervous, but I guess that we did it on purpose, on purpose, on purpose. Baby, I know it's weird, but it's worth it. But I guess that we did it on purpose, on purpose, on purpose."

"On purpose." I take this time for another mini dance break. "But I guess that we did it on purpose...but I guess that we did it on purpose."

I twirl around and let my long blond hair flow behind me. I pay no attention to the audience; in my mind it's only the band. I beam under the colorful lights. Something feels so familiar about this, but I can't gasp my memories. If only I could have a flashback or something to help me remember...

Oh, well. I should live in the present, right?

"Lost in darkness, you're my focus. Love me hopeless," I sing.

"But I guess that we did it on purpose," Luke joins in.

"Lost in darkness, you're my focus. Love me hopeless," I sing solo before breaking "Oh, you're scared..."

I fly through the chorus again, taking the time to reconnect with the crowd of my classmates. When we repeat the bridge at the end, I make it clear that Luke is my focus before teasingly walking past to Reggie. Luke frowns but keeps playing guitar.

Everyone cheers after the last few chords and Carrie claps slowly with a sour look on her face. I hold hands with Julie and bow. The rest of the band disappears. I see that they are standing in the back of the Gym, but only Julie and I know that. The students gasp at that, then cheer louder.

Carrie rolls her eyes and Nick gives her a disappointed look.

"Well?" I ask Mrs. Harrison, kneeling down on the stage so we can talk face-to-face. "Am I in?"