CHAPTER 3: Meeting a Ghost Band ✔️

JULIE AND I press through the crowd searching for Flynn. She confirmed in the gym that she hadn't sung for a year because her mother died. Music really connected them, and whenever Julie plays, she misses her mother.

It may be weird, but I feel a pang of jealousy. At least she has someone to miss. I have no idea who my parents are. I have no idea where I come from.

Of course, I push all of that down. Julie didn't need to hear that. She doesn't need to hear that now. What she needs is a friend to help her fix things with Flynn. I understand Flynn's frustration, but I also think it's a little dramatic to go running out of a room after your best friend performed for the first time in a year. Especially since Julie is grieving.

Then again, I'm pretty dramatic myself, so who am I to judge?

"Hey! Nice job!" a random guy calls.

"Julie! Julie! Those holograms were so cool!" a tall boy exclaims as we burst into the hallway. "It's like we were in Coachella, but not the desert and without the sweat."

Two of Carrie's minions giggle behind him.

I frown. I don't get the reference.

What an awkward way to compliment someone. "Without the sweat"?

"Thanks," Julie replies with a forced grin.

The boy and girls leave without so much as a glance at me. It seems like unless you've become the next big thing, no one will give you the time of day.

I'm alright with that. Quiet people learn the most secrets.

I think that's how it works.

A familiar blond boy in a letterman jacket greets Julie. "It's true. That was incredible."

From the way Julie shifts her weight and her face brightens, I know this is the boy she and Flynn gossiped about yesterday.

Nick? I think that's his name. He played guitar before Julie's stage fright.

"It was way better than when you cried and ran out," Carrie says with a mocking pout.

My hand curls into a fist. Her fluorescent wig is begging to be snatched.

"You're mad that she upstaged you without even trying," I snap back, giving a swift glance to Julie. She bites her lip, nervous though glad I defended her. "And she doesn't need to dress like a highlighter to grab attention."

Carrie's jaw drops.

What? We were all thinking it.

"Hey, um...maybe we should...get to science," Nick suggests before the tension causes the room to explode.

I narrow my eyes, totally prepared to stare this Queen B down. Nick shifts on his feet, anxious to diffuse the tension.

"Uh yeah, then maybe you can study the chemical properties of manners or something," Julie says, trying to build off of my energy.

Carrie snickers, "Was that supposed to be a comeback? Wow."

"Wow yourself," Julie replies, so over her attitude.

I agree with the sentiment, but her last words didn't make a big impact.

"Oh! Another winner," Carrie scoffs. Nick gives us (mainly Julie) a sympathetic look before following her.

 Nick gives us (mainly Julie) a sympathetic look before following her