CHAPTER 5: Seamless ✔️

Start from the beginning

"It has the same theme as the song Julie wrote for Flynn," I tell him, "I just wish I could remember who I wrote it for and why."

"Your name's written at the top," Luke notes. "Lila."

"Yeah." I hesitate as I wonder how much I should tell him and Reggie. "I also have a tattoo of that name over my heart."

I pull down my shirt just enough to show the name, but not reveal too much. The tattoo is high enough that it could be seen if I wore a low-cut tank top, but to avoid questions I've decided to cover it up.

"So, what's your backstory?" Reggie questions with curiosity. "We know Julie's, but we don't know much about you."

I sigh. "Join the club."

"What does that mean?" Luke furrows his dark eyebrows.

"Something happened to me last May. We have no idea what, but someone found me unconscious and alone on a street," I say to them, watching their expressions shift to sympathy. I haven't even told Julie the details about this. We were too worried about finding Flynn. "I was dead or at least they thought I was. They called an ambulance and they used the defibrillator on me. It somehow shocked me back to life."

Their eyebrows raise simultaneously in shock and disbelief.

"That explains how you can see us," Luke breathes. "You went through a lot."

I nod, suddenly feeling self-conscious as I stare at my feet. "I don't remember anything from before that."

"Woah, that's so cool!" Reggie exclaims.

Luke gives him a horrified look and slaps his arm. "Dude!"

"I mean, cool in a sick way," Reggie covers. "We died eating street meat in 1995."

"Seriously?" I can't help but laugh. "That's a dumb way to go!"

"Shut up," grumbles Luke, "I'd rather not think about it."

"Sorry," I blurt. "That was insensitive."

I didn't mean to be mean this time or teasing. To my relief, Luke moves on quickly. The topic is obviously uncomfortable for him.

"Let's work on this music, okay?" Luke jumps up and conjures his guitar out of thin air.

I blink.

I'm not sure I will ever get used to that.

"I wrote some basic chords on the top, but I don't know any of the strumming patterns," I admit.

"That's alright, we can figure it out together," Luke smiles warmly. "What about this?"

He plays some strings gently and I begin to sing the first verse

He plays some strings gently and I begin to sing the first verse. The tune comes back to me.

"Good morning, you're leaving, I'll see you in the evening," I sing, "my best friend to the end. My better half, no pretend."