Chapter 16(7594)

Chapter 16(7594)

Kelly was in no hurry to tell them how she had been captured, as it had happened much the same way as it had happened to Corum. When Kelly had first arrived, she had managed to infiltrate the party, sidling in with a group of kids that that had gone out into the garden briefly before being called back in by their parents.

Once inside she ran around with the children, tearing from room to room, keeping her head down and away from the adults as much as possible.

'Who are you?' one of the kids had asked. 'How come you're black?'

She realised then that she was the only other non-white kid at the party besides one half-Asian boy, and that in this nest of racists she would soon be noticed. There was no sign of Reggie though, so she had slipped away and searched around upstairs. There wasn't anyone up there at all though, it had been roped off from the party guests and some of the doors were even locked. She had gone to a window in one of the hallways and looked out across the courtyard to a converted out-building – a creamery or something – and had seen some lights on. She unclipped the small binoculars from her utility belt, took a closer look and saw Price, sat at his desk, drinking alone.

Rather than going back downstairs she had opened the window and taken to the rooftops, entered the out-building through a skylight and skulked downstairs.

When she entered the office, he had looked up from his glass in confusion. 'The party isn't in here child. Go back to the main house.'

'I'm not here for the party,' she replied, crossing over to the desk.

'Who the hell are you?' he demanded, knocking over his whisky glass as he stood up.

'I'm someone that your pal Clarence Price shot at,' replied Kelly. 'Do you know where he is?'

Reggie reached for phone, but Kelly kicked him in the stomach and he fell to the floor. Kelly leaned over him and again asked, 'where is Price?'

'Are you the Squirrel?' wheezed Cunningham as he got his breath back.

'I'm not here to play Guess Who?' hissed Kelly in reply as she grabbed his wrist and put it into a painful lock. 'Just tell me where Price is.'

Cunningham had moaned in pain then gave up. 'Fine... Fine. He's here. I'll take you to him.'

Kelly had been surprised by that, and had allowed Cunningham to lead her down to the wine cellar. Turning the last corner before the bunker she had been set on by three Aryan Brotherhood goons and although she had smashed in the faces of two of them, more kept arriving from upstairs until she was forced into the bunker and they had shut the door on her, Reggie screaming 'Close that fucking door!' repeatedly all the while. He'd gotten too close during the melee and she had fetched him a real clip on the side of his eye. Her last sight of him was as he leaded over, as if trying not to be sick, spitting and screaming as he clutched at his swelling face.

***

'Sounds like we both fell for the same trick,' said Corum as he eased himself down onto the bottom bunk to take the weight off his bad leg. He then gently leaned the crutch against the bed-post.

'I should have known better,' sighed Kelly, obviously angry at herself. 'I shouldn't have let him lure me down here. What a dope.'

'Don't feel bad,' said Lavius. 'No one else in this room is in any position to judge you. Why not Spider-man though? That would suit you better, no?'

'I prefer Batman,' replied Kelly. 'He has a utility belt.'

'Right,' replied Corum with a nod, before turning to Price. 'What are you doing here then?'