Don't Flatter Yourself

Magsimula sa umpisa

  With a blow of Madam Hooch's whistle, the game began. Angelina Johnson swiftly caught hold of the quaffle and made her way towards Hufflepuff's goalposts. Seconds before she could throw the quaffle out, a bludger whacked her right at her side.  In the blink of an eye, you flew down to catch it. You were faster than most chasers so you definitely used it to your advantage. Fred Weasley attempted to hit a bludger your way but just barely missed it as you inched closer and closer to the goal. Your eyes were keen and ambitious, intimidating even. You gave Oliver a small smirk before hitting the quaffle into the goal, to his surprise.

  "Don't beat yourself up Wood, I'm sure you'll get it next time!" you sneered before heading back to the game.

  Lee Jordan's commentary echoed throughout the stands as he announced the goal.

  Angelina swerved through the batch of Hufflepuffs, this time making her way even closer to the goalposts. She directed her arm towards the right goal, your keeper moved to it, she scored by throwing it to the left.

  "10 POINTS TO GRYFFINDOR!"

It took a while to take hold of the quaffle as Angelina and the pair of hankering red heads made a good trio. Nevertheless, a Hufflepuff beater nearly knocked Angelina off her broom which gave you the perfect opportunity to grab the quaffle. As always, you bolted past the other players leaving a flash of black and yellow. This time, Oliver's eyes were full with ambition and intimidation (Merlin could he be scary sometimes). The quaffle briskly moved toward the goal, until it was stunted by Oliver's broom knocking it out of the way. He smiled as he saw your eyebrows furrow in frustration.

  "HUFFLEPUFF CHASER, Y/N, JUST BARELY MISSES THE GOAL. GRYFFINDOR LEADS 60 TO 20!"

  Goal after goal, Angelina just kept scoring. One of the beaters on your team decided to take matters into his own hands while you had the quaffle in your possession but weren't quite yet in the scoring area. He raised the bat and hit a bludger straight at Oliver, knocking him off his broom. You halted mid-air before gasping in shock. Your shock quickly turned into anger and you looked back at your foolish teammate, he swore he'd never seen you livid.

Madam Hooch blew her whistle and awarded a penalty to Gryffindor. Of course, they made it. Only minutes after did Lee Jordan announce that Harry had caught the snitch. You were bummed about losing but it was to be expected, besides, you were more concerned about Oliver.

  By the time the game was over and the stands had cleared out, Oliver was still lying on the ground. His face was planted in the sand which worried you. Slowly, you tapped at his shoulder after turning his body right-side up. It took a couple of minutes to notice any reaction from under his robes.

  "Oliver, come on, get up."

After a few more seconds of incessant tapping, the boy finally groaned. You struggled to lift his body up alone, although he was fairly thin his body was completely limp. Quickly, you managed to stand him up and wrap his arm over your neck and place your other arm around his torso to provide support.

  "Oi, Weasley and Weasley, help me out will you?" you called out to the two redheads.

  The two boys came over, surprisingly with no witty comeback. Oliver's arms hung around their shoulders, his head bobbed around freely as they walked him over to the hospital wing. The two walked in conversation with one another, stopping in their tracks every once in a while to rearrange Oliver's body. 

  "So...Y/N, how's your year been?" George asked as he turned his head back to face you.

  "Splendid, although I'm not sure if Wood could say the same."

"Bloody hell, it's always the same with this one, can't go a single match without taking a bludger to the head" Fred joked while still facing forward. You couldn't see it, but you knew for a fact he had a cheeky smirk plastered across his face. 

  The four of you, more like three, continued to walk towards the hospital wing. The twins occasionally made jokes about Oliver, but mostly tried to include you in their small talk. Eventually, you reached the hospital wing where the twins plopped Oliver down on a bed. 

"Bye Y/N,"

"See you later Y/N" the twins said before heading off. 

Madam Pomfrey was busy aiding another student to notice yours and Oliver's presence. You killed the time by softly brushing your hand through Oliver's hair. He stirred in response to the feeling of your hand atop his head. You were quickly ripped out of the trance like state you were in. 

  "Really? Again?" Madam Pomfrey expressed. 

"He never fails, it's like clockwork" you joked, a chuckle escaped from Madam Pomfrey's lips. 

  She lifted up his eyelids, inspecting them, before giving her final judgement. "He got knocked off his broom, correct?"

You nodded. 

"He should be fine, no true harm done, although I'll have to keep an eye on him. Unless of course, you'll be here to do it for me." she said with her eyebrows raised and eyes hinting at something, it was no secret that you and Oliver were close. 

  It wasn't until around an hour and a half later that Oliver finally woke up. His eyelids fluttered as they got used to the new setting. He groaned, "not again."

  You laughed at what was said before offering him a glass of water. He rubbed his eyes before accepting the glass, "thanks."

 "Honestly Wood, I'm starting to think the bludgers fancy you."

 "Don't blame em'. I am rather dashing, aren't I?"

"Don't flatter yourself Wood." 

 He placed a hand over his heart, causing you to laugh. The two of you sat in silence after your laughter died out. 

"Well, how are you feeling?" you asked as he downed the glass of water. 

"Alright, though I'm feeling rather manky. Hope I didn't get any sand up my arse,"

 You chuckled before standing up, offering a hand out to him. Before he could grab it you snatched it back. 

  "I hate when you do that," he said before standing up on his own. 

"I know," you replied with a cheeky grin before intertwining your arm with his then heading off to the Great Hall.