Running

Running...that's what I've been doing for the past few months. No group. I stay by myself and avoid groups. If I rely on them, I get close with them, and when they die, I will lose it.

       My feet was getting tired of running, my lungs were burning and my stomach was growling. The dress I was wearing was torn and not the color of green anymore. My leggings were ripped at a few places. The orange hair of mine hasn't been brushed for a while so it's tangled. My shoes were starting to get worn out.

    I toke a rest near a very deep hill. My breathing was rapid. Tears went down my cheeks as I sobbed. Loneliness was hard to deal with.

   While sobbing, I toke out my Barbie doll from my bag and stared at it. Mommy gave me this for my birthday.

   Suddenly something knocked into me. Barbie fell down the hill and into the stream. I stumbled down to the ground.

    A 'walker' grabbed my foot to stop me. I screamed with fear as I tried to get away.

   My knife! I toke it out of my pocket and stabbed it in it's head. The walker stopped moving. Never new how these things could eat people. They were people, once.

    I pushed it off me and scrambled back up. Suddenly I threw up when I saw the blood.

   Once I stopped, I wiped my mouth and stepped back.

    The step I toke was in the air. I fell back and stumbled down the hill. It toke a few seconds for the fall to stop. I landed in the water with my back against the rocks.

   I groaned. My back felt a sudden soreness. I looked around to check for walkers, none.

    "Shit" I groaned as I got up. Never cussed before but it felt needed.

   I held my left shoulder to feel pain. Must be broken because it's just dangling. Barbie... I thought.

   I looked around to find Barbie lying in the wet sand. She was put back in my bag where he could be safe. My mom's closest friend named Luke gave me the bag before this all happened.

    Suddenly a man came tumbling down the hill at my direction. I jumped out of the way and landed on my left shoulder.

   I yelped from pain spreading through me. Blood started to spread around me. I looked to see the man laying in the water with an arrow sticked in his side.

    "Luke?" I squeaked.

   He sneered with a groan. "Son of a bitch!" He yelped. The man had a little doll strapped onto his belt.

   "You OK?" I asked.

   He looked up at me. The man wasn't Luke.

   "Sophia?" He mumbled. I looked at him with confusion.

    "No, I'm Scarlett" I explained.

   The man drags himself out of the water. With curiosity, I followed. He sat on a log and ripped out his sleeves to use as wound covers for his injured side.

   "What are you doing out here, kid?" He asks with a slight whimper of moaning.

   "Running" I answered honestly.

   He looks up to see the hill. Then he comes back to me.

   "What do you got there?" He points to my shoulder.

   "Broken arm, I guess" I replied.

    "Daryl" he greets.

   "Scarlett" I replied.