eight

who is avery kent?

who is avery kent?

how would i know? i kept looking at her as i worked on my potion. parvati was confused, she kept putting in to little of the honey water and to much of the mint. it was quite frustrating.

but kent flawlessly produced the best potion of the class? 

she even claimed she not at all very good with magic! there was something about this girl. something different. i couldn't just place my finger on it.

once potions was out of the way, i headed to my next class. the time turner bouncing up and down on my chest. cold metal against my skin.

i moved it back just before the begining of devination. (god, i hated that subject.) i landed in the middle of ron and harry. avery sitting infront of me. a scowl on her face. her blue eyes were no longer warm but icey. they pierced my body.

"so glad you could join us, hermione." avery grumbled. her hands infront of her, the "airpods" were in her ears. she claimed they were to help her listen to music on her "phone." that looked nothing like a telephone.

"i don't know what you're talking about avery. i've been here the entire time."

"really? interesting. because i don't recall you walking in with harry or ron. as it seems you and i aren't on speaking terms for reasons i don't know," avery muttered. "but i know for a fact you were not here when we walked in, no matter what you say, hermione."

i watched as she mouthed each word as she wrote down every thing she saw in the teacup. her brow furrowed in concentration. was it my fault that we weren't on speaking terms? if anything it's her fault for hiding something from us. harry and ron may be fooled with your charms avery kent, but not me.

as we got up to leave, harry grabbed my arm. 

"hermione, can you not be rude to avery? she's hasn't done anything wrong. maybe you are jealous. that for once you aren't the only good witch in our year!" he whispered.

"no," i replied. i was not jealous. "i'm not jealous, harry. she is hiding something. look, she's got no idea on what she's doing here." i watched as avery tripped over her feet. "what an idiot." i turned on my heel and began to walk to the library. i felt someone push me aside as i walked.

i caught avery's eye. she was sad. why? i had no clue. maybe she finally caught on that i knew she had secrets. i planned to unveil them.

i stopped walking. 

my stomach did a three sixty. i sounded like malfoy. with this plan. maybe i was jealous? i was being rude to someone who did nothing wrong. i wanted to chase after avery. i really did.

maybe i had messed our chances of becoming friends?

i turned around and went to go look for harry and ron. they most likely knew what avery was thinking. ron and avery shared a moment yesturday. maybe she told him something? maybe she'd told him why she thought i was upset with her.

my heart was beating rapidly. i scanned the common room. ron and harry were talking about god knows what.

"harry, ron. i need your help!" i panted. i looked at ron and harry's faces. both looking surprised.

"you? hermione granger, need our help? with what exactly?" ron asked.

i sighed. "harry you might be right. maybe i was a bit jealous. and now avery despises me. she wouldn't even look at me in the halls." 

harry blinked. then he said: "just tell her that you were jealous. i'm not good with girls but i'm pretty sure she's going to forgive you, hermione."

"i second that!" ron grinned.

i sat down. "honestly, that was some good advice, harry. i might just have to come to you more often."

ron seemed a little upset by this. "what about me? i have some good advice! like, um- oh! i got it! never let hagrid get his hands on dangerous creatures. he'll think they're his friends!" ron smiled at his own advice. "please hold your appulse."

"i'm not holding anything for that horrible piece of advice, ronald."

"aw, come on! it wasn't that bad, right harry?"

harry didn't speak a single word.

"harry potter! you are my best friend, please say something! anything!"