➽─── Chapter 1 ───❥

Catching her breath, Tale woke up to find herself on the floor, with her blanket and pillows scattered around her. She felt a single tear slide from her right eye and cold sweat rolled down her temple. 

"That was one weird dream," she said. It was the third time she dreamt of the strange man.

The moonlight shone through her windows, and every inch of the room felt empty. Tale contemplated her dream and looked at the clock by her bedside. 

It's only 5:00 AM. She palmed her face and sighed deeply to calm herself.

"I need a glass of water," she told herself before getting up and going to the kitchen. She walked through the dark hallway as her mind was still occupied by her dream. When she got there, she drank a glass of water and washed her face in the sink. There was an unusual silence, so she turned around and called for her dog.

"Astrum?" But everything was quiet.

Where could she be?

Tale searched everywhere, the kitchen, the living room, the garage, but her dog was nowhere to be found. Full of worry, her heart pounded as if she ran for miles. When her attention was drawn outside, she saw her dog on the other side of the street looking frightened to cross.

"Astrum!" She screamed with relief and stepped out of the gate. Her dog heard her and looked in the direction of her voice. It rushed towards her. 

Suddenly, she heard a loud honk to her right and ran instinctively towards her dog, shielding it from the upcoming impact. Everything happened so fast, and her heart seemed to skip a beat. The terrifying sound echoed as she felt an extreme force hit her body, and she fell to the ground.

Her head was throbbing in pain, and her vision was blurry. She tried to move but pain surged through her body. She could see her dog nudging her face and whining. Everything seemed so chaotic, and there was a commotion. Lights flashed as she heard voices surrounding her.

"Will we meet again?"

A voice resonated in her ears, distinctly, among all the noise. Confused, she tried to find where the voice emanated from, despite her strength growing fainter. But her efforts were in vain as darkness slowly enveloped her. Once again, she heard a series of heartbeats, just like what she encountered in her dream.

I'm scared.

It's too dark.

Someone... help me.