Chapter 10 - Mind over Matter

Start from the beginning

Something in Damon's face changed as my ramped speech came to an end, but I didn't wait around long enough to find out what. My long-winded speech had drained me, and I didn't have the energy to stick it out and see how Damon retaliated. So with a broken sigh, I turned around and walked away.

***

Of course someone had dobbed. What with it being Damon Smith and all, I'm surprised I wasn't personally escorted to the principal's office in handcuffs.

Mr Petrie, our schools overly plump principal, sat on the edge of his desk and let out a weary sigh.

"You know Miss Phillips, up until this moment I had no idea who you were."

Thanks, I thought, giving him a flat look, nice to know I'm appreciated.

"But now, due to this unfortunate incident, I do. Which believe me, is not something you necessarily want."

He moved around his desk and took a seat behind it, gazing evenly at me with his fingers laced under his chin. I swallowed.

"Uh, Mr Petrie? Permission to speak?"

He indicated towards me with his hand. "Go on."

"I understand your concern over what happened, honestly I do, but -"

"But nothing," he cut in, holding up a hand to silence me. I don't see why he let me speak in the first place if he was planning on interrupting. "What you did today is not something that can easily be forgiven. This school has zero tolerance for violence, and you Miss Phillips are no exception to that. What on earth possessed you to strike a fellow student?"

I wasn't going to be the first to admit that I was beginning to sulk. There was no way I was going to let the principal in on Damon's little secret, seeing as it would probably only launch an even bigger investigation conducted by the school board that would inevitably lead to us both being thrown into a jail cell for supporting an illegal fight club. So you can understand why I had no intention of dragging the problem out any longer than was necessary.

"It was just the heat of the moment, sir. We both got a little aggravated and I acted without thinking. I'm sorry."

"From what I hear Anna, that statement is not entirely true," He watched me squirm over his remark through narrowed eyes. "According to bystanders who witnessed the whole thing, your attack on Damon was unprovoked; and what's more, no one seemed to recognise you as an acquaintance of Mr Smith's."

Oh God.

"Anna," he carried on, frowning. "It wouldn't be fair on you not to tell you what we staff members have heard about your dealings with Damon Smith. Many rumours circulate this school, and one story in particular has been picked up by our faculty only just this morning."

I tried my best to keep the innocent look from fleeing my face, but as he stared me down I could feel my cheeks catching fire and my need for an escape plan became all the more prominent.

"Now, it's none of my business what goes on outside school grounds, but when students' activities start to interfere with the way my school is run, it's time I intervened."

An uncomfortable look flickered momentarily across his face, but disappeared quickly. I wouldn't have been so baffled over his unease if I'd had known what he was about to say.

"I know that Mr Smith is seen as quite the shining star amongst you students, but it has been my laborious duty over the last few years to settle the disgruntled minds of young ladies such as yourself, who find themselves quarrelling over the matter of his heart." Mr Petrie's voice took on a bored quality as he continued to speak, indicating to me that it wasn't the first time he'd had to make this speech. "More schoolyard fights have been started over him than anything else, and I've unfortunately been laden with the duty of dismissing any future thoughts you girls might have regarding a relationship involving Mr Smith. Let me assure you that there are more important things in this world than schoolgirl crushes, and you should do well to remember that the next time you decide to assault someone."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was unbelievable, that's why. Not only did Mr Petrie consider me a violent, out of control teen, but he also thought that the reason behind my 'unprovoked' attack on Damon was because I was in love with him, and he hadn't reciprocated my feelings.

I didn't know what to say. What was there to say apart from every cuss word known to man? I forced myself to sit quietly until he was done, before uttering a half-hearted 'thank you' and making a desperate bid for the door.