Chapter 15 - Be Still

{Though you might've heard about the numbers that I sleep with, that's not all I am but at least there ain't no secrets.

Boys Like You - 360 feat. Gossling}

Chapter 15 - Be Still

It was the same as before - black car parked at the curb, headlights bright and burning into the fading light, with Damon propped up against the front of the car, waiting patiently. I'd been in two minds the entire time, half kicking myself for continuing to cater to Damon's expectations of me, while also booting away any negative thoughts about what I was doing and cementing the fact that my actions tonight can no longer cause offense among the people I love.

I decided, in the end, to take comfort from Damon's rationale – I was simply doing my job, just like anybody else. And if I ignored the legal implications of our actions, plus the trust I'd naively broken between me and my friends in the past; I was sure to do just fine tonight.

Surprisingly, as I approached him, Damon straightened from where he lent against the car, and without speaking moved around it to pop open the passenger side door. Rendered momentarily speechless by his actions – not to mention blushing profusely like the skunk in Bambi- his unprecedented act of chivalry had the little girl inside of me sighing dreamily, although he'd done little as of late to deserve it.

"Thank you," I managed to choke out after a moment, doing my best to appear effortless in my actions as I hauled myself up into his mammoth car, while simultaneously manipulating myself so as not to flash him my underwear.

He didn't seem fazed by my momentary brain blip – just simply waited until all of my limbs were safely inside the vehicle before slamming the door.

I'd anticipated how the drive to the venue would go; much like our first, except now the enclosed space would not only be filled with the strained tension shared between two near strangers, but a terrifying fear-fuelled horror of words left unspoken. So, to avoid any awkwardness, I was pulling out all the stops, and casting aside our current resentment for one another in order to make the hour long journey somewhat bearable.

As he pulled out into the street, his attention for the time being on the road, I took the opportunity to assess his body language; just in case he'd come here with his impenetrable walls resurrected, and any attempts at conversation on my part would be unnecessary.

But he looked relaxed – comfortable, as he guided the car through the suburban streets. So I took the plunge.

"How's school going?" I asked, watching the houses begin to blur outside my window as we sped up out onto the freeway. Damon barked a laugh, his eyes flitting to his rear-view mirror before settling back on the traffic ahead.

"Shit," he said, before falling quiet. I thought he wasn't going to elaborate, but after a moment he continued. "We're quite the scandal, you and I. I didn't think people could care so much about something that has nothing to do with them."

I bit back my sour remark - having vowed to keep this trip civil - and instead stoically smoothed my ruffled feathers and exhaled.

"It's just something to keep them occupied until the bell. You of all people should know how gossip works."

"Not really," Damon replied with a simple shrug. "I'm usually the subject, not the spreader. Very different ends of the spectrum."

I mulled over his answer. I'd never thought about that.

"Doesn't that drive you crazy? Having people constantly speculating about your every move. How can you put up with that?"

He met my eyes for a second.