【22】

𝕊𝕥𝕖𝕡𝕡𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕀𝕟𝕥𝕠 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕃𝕚𝕠𝕟'𝕤 𝔻𝕖𝕟

"Hey Solomon. How you doing big guy?" I sweet talked as I inched closer to him. He wasn't showing any signs of aggression and wasn't acting abnormally so I took that as a good sign to continue.

I held my hands out to show that I wasn't a threat. "Peter. Slowly and quietly come into the enclosure" I whispered not breaking eye contact with the Big Cat in front of me.

I could hear his footsteps behind me as I was stood. I was in within an arms length and Solomon's posture suddenly changed, crouching to the floor I looked to my feet to show submission as I didn't want Solomon to think I was challenging his dominance as he was the Alpha of the tribe.

Reaching my hand out I waited for acceptance and for Solomon to trust me. I waited a couple seconds before I felt soft fur press against my fingertips. I looked up and smiled at him rubbing behind his ear to which he looked content.

"Now" I spoke

Rustling of keys and the creaking of the door took over the silence. It was time to focus on the task at hand.

Keeping Solomon distracted.

"Come on now. Sit with me. Lay down here- Good boy!" I sat on the grass with Solomon laid on my legs preventing me from getting up. Pretty soon they'll become dead and I'll have trouble walking, Peter better hurry up or I'll be hiding his alcohol for the next year.

Solomon was getting the fuss of his life, he was on his back like a dog getting a belly rub.

"How's it going over there?" I hollered hearing grunts.

"Fine, fine. Just a few more seconds I've almost got- AHH SHEEP FARTS IN ASPIC! COCKTAILS!"

My head turned to the sound of Macready's cries of pain. He was jumping and clutching his hand in pain.

My distraction caused me to stop petting Solomon to which he noticed and sat up alerted to the cried of Peter McCready.

"Solomon. Solomon wait! Come here boy!" I whistled trying to get his attention back as Solomon was now standing and walking towards McCready. Rising to my feet I crept up beside Solomon not becoming too panicked with my movements as Solomon could change at any second and lunge towards me. "No, no, Solomon stop! Peter! Don't turn around. Just don't turn around, okay don't look. McCready look, turn around" My voice became airy as my heart began to race, an unsettled feeling crept into my body.

McCready turned around "You don't want me! I am filled with scotch and bitterness and impure thoughts" he pointed to his belly with aggression.

Ew. I thought. However Solomon found that appealing and licked his lips. Oh no...

Without a second thought I put myself in front of Peter putting my hands out

"Solomon no!"

"Got it!" McCready shouted before opening the door, he reached and grabbed my shirt pulling me out of the enclosure before closing and locking it back up.

We both let out a sign of relief.

"Good boy" I said putting my hand up against the fence. I gave Peter a pat on the shoulder smiling up at him "All in a days work"

I heard Kelly's voice in the distance doing an excellent job of stalling I might add. I walked over to them with a smile on my face acting as if nothing happened. I gave Kelly a subtle wink letting her know that everything was under control.

"Afternoon Solomon" Benjamin called.

Walter pulled out his electric tape measure or whatever you call it and extended it over to Solomon's side. Hopefully it was enough to meet the requirements. McCready made sure everything was correct and up to standard so we would get approved, let's hope all this hard work paid off.

****************************************

Here we all stood, US against Walter Ferris.

The wait felt like an eternity before he sighed and put pen to paper. Rosie was quick to interject before he made any sudden decisions "Hey Mister"

Walter looked up from his paper and stared down at the little girl. As did our attention. All eyes were on her and what she was about to say, nobody dare say anything to interrupt the mini Mee.

"Everybody says you're a dick, I don't know what that means but I don't believe it"

My eyes widened in surprise at the little girl's potty mouth obviously she didn't know what she said but to everyone else they were either embarrassed or in shock.

I hesitantly looked in Walter's direction to find his face was also stunned by her words but instantly turned back into his usual stern look. "I don't think it's going to work-"

We all looked down in disappointment my eyes welling with tears as I clenched my fists trying to keep the sobbing down. Rosie looked heartbroken and Kelly looked like she might cry. Benjamin was disheartened and stepped forward to collect the declined inspection letter- "But good luck"

I looked up as the tears fell from my eyes but this time they didn't fall from sadness but from relief and happiness.

Benjamin held the sheet up in the air with the tick on approved. We all jumped for joy and excitement. We did it, we finally did it.

"Yes, Yes!" We cheered, I ran to Kelly and hugged her tight. Lily soon crushing into us as well as we did a 3-way hug.

"Hey listen, I want to see you here opening day" Benjamin told Walter.

"I don't fraternize Mr. Mee, im sure I'll have plenty or reports" he smiled before nodding his head Benjamin doing the same before he walked off. Benjamin went back to his family wrapping them up in a hug.

I ran up the hill to Walter "Hey Ferris!" he turned and looked down at me, not really having enough time though as I tackled him into a big hug. "Thank you" my voice came out trembling as the tears flowed down my cheeks freely. "Really I mean it, you won't regret it. You'll see, we'll become great again just like it used to be!" I cheered wiping my eyes with my sleeves.

"I don't doubt it for a second" He rubbed a hand on my arm to comfort me "Your father would be very proud of you" and with those final words he left without another word.

I let out a huge cheer and rolled down the hill covering myself in dirt and grass. I could hear the laughter of everyone else as I reached the bottom and came to a stop. I giggled and pulled pieces of grass out of my hair. Suddenly I was tackled by none other than Rosie Mee "We did it Evelyn, we did it!"

I embraced her tightly "We did little munchkin. We've got our zoo back!"