Chapter 17 : Unbreakable

Start from the beginning

Reiner never liked the sport to be quite frank. He always thought it was a waste of time and was only in it because he had the physique to play the sport.
He came to Trost not because he wanted to play basketball, but because he wanted to be with his companions, Bertholdt and Annie. They've been friends ever since they were kids- at least he and Bertholdt thought that- and have always gone to the same school and looked after each other. Bertholdt was interested in playing basketball while Annie didn't want to be cooped up in their hometown any longer and thus making them both to enroll in Trost. Reiner on the other hand, had never had a specific goal- okay not a goal but rather a means to achieve his goal. Want he wants is to be successful in whatever he wanted or felt like doing in the future and since he always had a talent for the sport, he chose to to enroll with Bertholdt and Annie in the same school, killing two birds with one stone by becoming a professional while seeing how the world operated. That's what led him to this point but he discovered that they are others who are as talented as he and that he would have to work hard to earn a high status in the world and bring honor to his family. This is what served as his drive to do better and be the best that he can be.

The score is 56 - 23 with Trost in the lead.

"Nice one man." Eren gave him a fist bump which he responded to.

"Tch. That guy with the big build, he's annoying. We'll have to contain him first before the others" the captain of the opposition spoke to his teammates.
"Kiryuu, Mado, the two of you should double team him and keep him in place. We can take care of the others. Zack beware of number 9 (Finn) and make sure to always pass the ball back to Luke. I'll create an opening so that he'll be able to shoot in threes at an angle that number 12 (Reiner) can't reach" , he concluded.

His teammates bodded in affirmation and took their positions.

Oh really, Finn thought, noticing their switched positions and understanding their plan immediately. He was amused but did not say anything to either of his teammates.

The game continued.

The ball was in the possession of the boy called Zack. He passed to Luke who shot a three into the basket.

"So they have someone who can shoot from that angle?", Eren questioned to no one in particular. He looked at Bertholdt who gave a slight nod and got the ball in his hands.

Bertholdt ran forward, bouncing the ball. He stopped short when the captain of the opposing team came ito his front. Bertholdt faked shooting a three and passed to Reiner who was still marked by Kiryuu and Mado. Reiner didn't allow this to stop him and he moved forward, leaning his weight on one end to give the power to break through from the right. He broke through and slammed another dunk into the basket.

"Woahh!!!", cries and shouts went up from the spectators who were impressed with Reiner's display.

"Even with two he still broke past" , Kiryuu said, panting.

"Lets keep going", Mado replied.

Luke was in possibly of the ball but Reiner blocked him before he could make a shot. The ball landed in Jean's hand and he made a three into the basket.

It was the captain and Eren one-on-one. Eren pushes forward, looking for a way to get through. He passed the ball from between his legs, took a step back to shoot the ball. The captain jumped mistaking it for an actual shot and Eren held still and passed it to Reiner who now had three players on him.

"T-three", Sasha said, bouncing in her seat at the tension going on between the players.

"Sasha sit still. And squeeze gently otherwise you'll break my arm", Historia pleaded.

"S-Sorry I can't help it. It's really exciting", Sasha replied, pouting.

"I'll buy you lunch if you stay still", Annie said immediately.

"Deal"

She's too easy, the girls sweatdropped.

Reiner looked at all three of his oppositions and took them head on. The three were having a hard time containing him as he was not only bigger but also stronger than them -then he did something unbelievable- he jumped. With his two hands he held the ball, leapt into the air and slammed it in the basket over his rivals. The force at which he made the dunk was so strong that it pushed all three players to the ground at once.

The team's captain couldn't believe it- he just dunked over them like they weren't even there.

Reiner landed on his feet, back hunched and aura intimidating. To the other team, he was like an armored giant, a mountain that couldn't be moved. It was like he towered over them completely leaving no room for breathing or escape. That was the presence they felt from Reiner.

To think he would make use of his talent in such a way is truly fascinating indeed, Erwin Smith spoke to himself- wherever he was.

Well, well. Looks like he's got it in him after all, Finn thought.

And the game went on like that, with Reiner scoring and his team increasing the gap between them and the other. His defenses were impregnable and his offense was overwhelming.

At the end, the score was 95 - 26 with Trost College winning the first match in the entire tournament.

"Why aren't I surprised", Levi asked rhetorically.

"Technically you're not supposed to be considering it was you and I who-"

"Shut it Four-eyes".

Reiner huh. Marcel would have some explanation to do.

Little did the team know, that a much stronger force would be approaching them soon enough.