She feels miserable as she leans down to try to grab her bag, one hand on her back to try and balance some of the pressure.

"I'll get that," Roman murmurs, kissing her cheek as he swoops down and grabs her bag, putting it over his shoulder.

They had the same meetings today, so Avery knew she had someone with her the whole time in case anything happened.

She was increasingly scared of losing the pregnancy after what had happened before, and she had barely moved since her pregnancy had been confirmed, not wanting to risk anything.

Everyone had to come to her, or it was a video call - she wasn't taking any risks at all in flying or driving for too long, and even though her doctor said it was okay, she didn't want to do anything she had convinced herself could harm her baby.

Closing her jacket as they walk down the stairs, she rubs her temples, feeling a mild headache coming on again.

She hasn't slept properly for the last two months, and she's exhausted - when the baby is born, she's warned Roman that she's sleeping for at least nine hours in a row.

She feels like a teenager again with the exhaustion, but she has responsibilities now.

Including this meeting.

Roman drives carefully, one hand on hers to try and soothe her.

They don't speak for the drive, but his wolf is troubled by Avery's emotions.

He can feel them through the link, and he's concerned that she's in pain.

Roman glances over at his mate, who seems to be asleep.

He makes a note of this and takes care to drive even gentler, turning the radio off and avoiding any bumps he knows are in the road.

This meeting is for the new Council, and he had to attend as the official peacekeeper, while Avery was actually sitting on the panel.

He was beyond proud of her, but he was upset that she didn't have the opportunity to enjoy it.

She didn't like pregnancy, and he knew it was because their pup was difficult.

It killed him to see her in pain, and that was all she had seemed to be in since they found out she was pregnant.

The excitement had lasted for a day, and then she had been rushed to the hospital for a blood transfusion.

She had been visiting her doctor every two days for the last few weeks to make sure everything was alright, because the doctor expected their child to make an early entrance into the world.

She thought they were on the way to a meeting, and she had been stressing all morning about that when in reality, they were on the way to her baby shower.

He had been working secretly with all of her friends from the pack, and from other packs, to make sure it was as perfect as can be.

The entire packhouse is decorated with her favourite flowers and Christmas decorations, and everyone is in on it.

The winter holidays have started, and all of the children are off school, making the atmosphere that bit more excited.

He's terrified she'll hate it, but he's just hoping that it helps to relax her a little.

He reorganised her schedule, with Zephyr, Scott, and Katya's help, so that after the next two days, she has two weeks off before the baby comes.

She needs time to relax, even her doctor said it, and she'll get it in bucketloads after this.