"It's okay. I'm here, Elara," he nearly sighed in relief when she started to shake and fur gave way to skin.

Nudity was a common part of wolf life, even when they tried to keep it to a minimum. Still, it always made him a little uncomfortable where his sister was involved, so he quickly closed the distance and wrapped her in the blanket before hugging her tightly.

Sobs burst from Elara like a dam being broken and she allowed her brother to pull her into his chest, his arms tight around her as he comforted her.

"Let's get you away from here," he whispered, turning them and leading her carefully through the masacre.

Elara felt numb. That's the best way she could think to describe the coldness that was spreading through her. She knew instinctively that Bennett wasn't going to run up and greet her when they got to the packhouse.

Sweep outwards in groups of three until you get to the perimeter and then run tag teams around, Everett mind linked all the warriors as he walked as quickly as Elara could to the packhouse.

Elara wanted to ask her brother what had happened. If Sethos had been caught and if Bennett was okay, but she couldn't get the words past her throat.

Or maybe she didn't want to face the truth.

Deep down, she knew that Sethos had gotten away and that if Bennett was okay, he would have been on that field with her, not Everett.

"You can use this shower," Everett led her into his room at the packhouse, turning on the shower water for her, "I'm going to run and get Grace and the others from the safe house. And she and I will be back before you get out," he leans in and presses a soft kiss to her head, before shutting the door behind him.

Elara doesn't bother looking in the mirror. When she drops the blanket from her skin, she can see the stain of red on her skin, see the scratches that she doesn't remember.

The warm water rushing over her skin helps. She rests her head against the shower tile, eyes closed as if that will wash away what she had done.

But she can't fully relax. There is something within her urging her out. It's the same pull she felt to get to the attack. Like someone has attached a rope to her and is gently tugging for her attention.

By the time the water runs clear, no trace of the red that had marred her skin, Grace was gently knocking on the door, a pile of clothes in her hand.

"I brought Bennett's sweatshirt for you, he's -" Grace trails off, loose tears stray down her cheek and a sob chokes her as she looks at her feet.

Grace doesn't even know where to start or what to say. He's alive but barely and the pain Elara must be in is breaking Graces heart.

But Elara shows nothing, says nothing. She just grabs the pile of clothes from Grace and begins to dress.

"Do you want something to eat? Drink?" Grace asks hesitantly, her hands wringing together in worry.

Elara shakes her head, one hand moving to her chest, rubbing a spot over and over again as if to relieve a pressure that's building there.

"I'll take you to him," Grace reaches a hand out to Elara, offering any type of support that she can.

Her eyes meet Everett's in the hall, concern flickering between them in silent conversation as they both watch the shell of sister they care about.

The room Bennett is in, is packed. Doctors working to clean him up, as he lays still as stone. Elara's eyes zero in immediately on the slight rise and fall of his chest.

He's not dead. He hasn't left me. The thought should comfort her, should help shake her of this fog that has encompassed her, but it doesn't, because he's not awake and the doctors and alphas looked worried.

"You must be Elara," a woman sits on Bennett's right side, her hand gently resting on his as she looks at Elara with a sad smile, "this is not the way we should be meeting,"

The woman stands, her brown hair salted with grey streaks and her eyes look tired. But they are a familiar shade of brown.

"I'm Ella, Bennett's mother," she pulls Elara into a hug, the hold reminding her so much of her mother's' hug it nearly hurts.

Her arms are limp and it takes her a minute to respond to the hug, but it's not as enthusiastic as Ella's. She still feels like something is off, but she can't really decide what to do.

Everything is wrong.

"It's okay, I know the pain hunny," Ella whispers in Elara's ear, "this meeting won't count. Bennett will wake and introduce us and all will be right,"

The pressure in Elara's chest grows again, like a balloon that's being filled. She had thought it was the need to be with Bennett, but looking at him, she feels the tug pulling her in the opposite direction.

But Elara ignores it, just as she ignores the gazes of the Alphas as she moves to sit at her mates side.

<3 <3 <3 <3
*unedited*