harbour mist

“What a marvelous feeling
it would be if we could say
exactly what we felt! What
a monumental victory! What
a terrifying delight!”

DRACO MALFOY WAS RICH, but he knew it was Skylar who was wealthy; a difference the common man cannot see. Where Draco's richness came from jewels, gold and galleons, just topped off rightly with the Malfoy name that he used to wear like a crown as he walked down the halls believing he was Prince, Skylar's wealth came from the people she called family, the love she gave to everyone she loved topped off with just the right amount of ruthless brutality towards those who threatened her. Draco's life had never quite been the same since he almost bumped into this freckly redhaired girl in hand-me-downs with a sharp tongue. His morals had been shaking since the day he sat with her in the courtyard, a Gryffindor, to have lunch. He didn't know when the walls around him fell or if she climbed them or not, but she walked into him like it was the easiest thing she had ever done.

Skylar Firegold was wealthy, he knew, when he walked with her to Diagon Alley to shop for the best, creamiest butterscotch wedding cake. It had to be butterscotch, he had insisted, his favourite flavor. And Skylar had agreed. Butterscotch was just right—the correct amount of burned sugar and the fluffiest cream to lick off. It was June—when had time flown by, he didn't know. Maybe it was the stress of the NEWTs that had him and Granger study day and night until they were both reciting the lessons like the back of their hands. Alchemy was the worst—Granger had Ancient Runes so he was stuck alone in Alchemy, paired up with this stupid Ravenclaw who was always zoned out and in his own world. NEWTs were the final level of their school life and he wasn't ashamed to say he had cried before leaving.

Most of the wedding had been handled by the combined actions of Mrs Weasley and his mother. Needless to say, it was going to be the best wedding the Wizarding World had seen in ages. It was still taking place in the Firegold Manor. Most of the Pureblood families who still remained and untainted would be there. Most of Hogwarts would be there too—Skylar had specifically invited Snape and McGonagall. It would take place in the humongous garden of the Manor, under an archway intertwined with leaves and laurels, right in the crook of the hills that stood tall behind. Draco loved the idea of it, but honestly, he couldn't care less about the wedding. If he could, he would just elope and get married in a small courthouse somewhere. But, he also wanted the world that know that it was Skylar Firegold who has his heart and it was him who had Skylar's.

"This is better than the last one, don't you think?" Draco asked with a furrowed eyebrow. "I do quite enjoy the vanilla aftertaste."

"Draco," Skylar said sadly. "I can't understand the difference between the cakes."

He blinked at her before snorting lightly. He licked the cream of the fourth cake they tried, from his fingers and fries turned to her. "The first is a classic butterscotch. It has that flavor through and through," he said. "But it's cream is more condensed and thick. However, the second cake, although a classic butterscotch too, is more moist," he said. "It's softer and the cream is more whipped than condensed. Airy, you know?"

"I did like the texture of the second cake more," Skylar said quietly, nodding.

"Me too. The third cake is chocolate filled butterscotch— the sponges are chocolate chip infused and the center has that lava thingy. But even if the slight bitterness of the chocolate perfectly compliments the burn sugar taste of the butterscotch, it's not good enough."