32. Promises - Angst with Happy Ending ft. Steve Rogers

Start from the beginning

His heart felt like it would drop into his stomach when he saw your face. You looked absolutely wrecked, it hurt him, and when you spoke up, he could feel your pain transferring over.

"Peter..." You answered, not adding on to what had happened, hoping Steve understood you. He was always there for you no matter what, he was even closer to you than Peter was for the months he was gone.

He pulled you into a delicate hug, and you instantly sobbed, almost breaking against him. "Honey, come on, let's get home." Steve whispered to you softly, running a hand up and down your back.

In all his dreams, he never imagined you like this, so broken by a moment between you and Peter. In all honesty, he did dream about holding you close like this, but not with you crying, but with you happy and in love with him, instead of Peter. So, having you here in his arms, didn't feel right, even though he has dreamed about this for ages.

You didn't respond to him, but you did hold onto him tighter. Stupid Peter, why did this ever happen? Why did you come today? You thought, making your head pulse even harder and you almost felt... clumpy, trying to breathe in and calm down. It was a strange way to describe it, but that was the only word you could relate to.

-

Peter was feeling the same way. Right when you turned around to leave, his chest felt empty and hollow. Like you were missing, but he couldn't reach out to you, not now. All those messages you sent him during his long missions made him happier, but he missed you even more than ever. You sent him pictures of apartments that would fit the two of you, pictures you took together, and even some pictures of yourself in his favorite lingerie set on you. Goodness, did it hurt when he couldn't talk to you back.

Going on those missions, all the agents he spoke to gave him one piece of advice, to cut out anything that might attach him to back home. And that was you. He needed to do it as soon as possible, seeing as he would only fall deeper in love with you each time you reached out to him.

A flood of memories rushed him, pushing him to sink further into the floor in his room in the Compound. He felt like he would melt right down to the basement, with the regret and guilt.

"I love you, and I don't want to lose you." Peter whispered to you, watching you eat your breakfast. You dropped your spoon in shock and stared back up at Peter. "Wait, no fair!" You shouted suddenly, jumping up from your seat, "I was planning on saying I love you first! Take it back!"

Peter laughed in joy, smiling, and feeling completely in love. "I won't take it back, babe! I mean it!" he responded, picking you up and spinning you around. You laughed loudly, then leaned back down to his lips and in an instant the two of you were spinin' and kissin'.

"I love you too Peter. I promise you won't lose me." You whispered back, kissing and smiling along with him.

A sob broke out of him, and another, and another as his AI, Karen, alerted Tony about Peter's current state. "Stop it," Peter sobbed out, begging for Karen to just let him be alone. He already did the hardest part, and he's sure he could get past now, but it was so hard.

He couldn't help but replay the first time the two of you had gotten together and what you said. You two had been dating for so long, and when it was time, both of you were 19 years old.

You two had been making out for at least an hour, making it harder for Peter to disguise what effect you had on him. You were grinding down on him, on his bed, moaning as he kissed you even harder, pushing his tongue into your mouth.

"Peter, do you want to do it?" You asked, breathing heavy as you pulled away. Peter's eyes widened as he felt himself twitch again down there.