prologue

Holly Granger—yes Granger, as in the twin of Hermione— could not be more different from her sister

Holly Granger—yes Granger, as in the twin of Hermione— could not be more different from her sister. Hermione was practically perfect in every way, but that's not all. Hermione was loved by their parents, Holly was not. Hermione was proud Gryffindor, whilst Holly was an ambitious Slytherin. Hermione loathed Draco Malfoy, and Holly was in love with him.

Their appearances were strikingly different as well, given the fact that they are fraternal twins which they stress at every single chance they get. Hermione was frizzy and curly brown locks, that went beautifully with her amber eyes, and in comparison Holly has raven hair, and deep blue eyes. Something about their smiles were quite similar— but no one would ever notice because Holly never smiled anymore. It had been so long since the masses had seen a smile on her face that they completely forgot what it used to look like. She seemed to always have a sort of sadness to her, something that her Slytherin acquaintances could never quite figure out. It was there from the moment they first met her, and they only saw some resolve in it when she was with Hermione.

But Hermione and Holly have not spoken more than twenty words to each other since third year, and given that it was now fifth year, that seems quite insane to most of their peers since when the pair are out of Hogwarts for the summer, they live together. No one really knows what happened between the two girls at the beginning of third year, but the change was drastic.

All throughout their first and second year, Holly and Hermione were attached at the hip, just like they had been their entire lives. Even though they were in separate houses, that never stopped them from having sleepovers in the Gryffindor common room and acting as if there wasn't a deep house rivalry between their houses. Holly still hung out with the Slytherins of course, but they never felt like home, it always felt fabricated and cold, like their kindness was only there because of the house that they shared. Holly knew that if she was put in any other house, they would never even spare a second glance to her, because she was muggleborn, and they were blood purists to the core.

Most people speculate that the fault in their once inseparable relationship had something to do with Draco Malfoy.

Draco Malfoy was one of the worst blood purists there was, yet he somehow took a liking to Holly. It was insane, literal madness, according to Pansy Parkinson. She really had no clue how Draco would ever even be able to look at a mudblood for more than five seconds without wanting to puke, but there Draco was, falling in love with Holly. Draco really couldn't explain it either. She was so quick-witted, and had the same intelligence as her sister, though she didn't show it off much. Not to mention she was gorgeous, with the most entrancing blue eyes and heartwarming smile.

Some part of Draco seemed to forget the fact that Holly was a mudblood— most times he even forgot that she was twins with Hermione due to how great the difference was between the two. Draco knew in the back of his head that it was wrong to be in love with a mudblood, he understood that fact very well because of how deeply Lucius had drilled it into his head, but when he was sitting next to Holly at the top of the Astronomy Tower, watching the shooting stars go by and seeing the lightest smile form on her face, the ideal seemed to wash away.