XI. UNTIL THE END

Start from the beginning

"Oh my — of course!" the new Hogwarts graduate practically screamed.

"I was planning on waiting until the war was over, or at least died down a bit. Then we can get married, maybe even start a family . . ."

She flushed, but didn't look opposed to the idea one bit. In fact, she couldn't wait. It sounded all too perfect.

The scene faded away again, and Harry found himself in what looked to be a small cottage in the woods. He could see Eloise and Regulus, and they looked a year or so older than they were in the last scene.

"Reg, darling, what's wrong?"

Regulus Black walked into the sitting room and fell onto the couch next to his fiancée. He looked tired— more tired than he did during his Hogwarts days, that is. There were dark eye-bags under his eyes, and his face looked more haunted than before. The tired expression on his face was overtaken by a sleepy smile.

"There's nothing wrong. Actually, I'm great, just tired. I found something out— a way to end the Dark Lord once and for all. I've been doing research, which is probably why I look like this . . . if everything goes well, we'll finally be able to get married!" he exclaimed, jumping up from the couch as if the idea of marriage suddenly sent a jolt of energy through him. "And we would finally be able to start that family of ours . . ."

As much as Eloise would love to get married to Regulus and start their family, the thing he said beforehand drew more of her attention.

"What do you mean you found a way to end You-Know-Who? How?"

"He made Horcruxes," said Regulus simply.

But Eloise didn't have the first clue on what that meant.

"He made what?"

"Horcruxes," he repeated. "They're an object that someone stores a piece of their soul in. The Dark Lord made one, and I know where it is. Or, Kreacher does, and he's going to take me."

"W-wait, when is he taking you?" questioned Eloise, looking a lot more shaken up than a minute ago.

"In a few days time."

"Well then, I'm going with you," said Eloise firmly.

"Absolutely not," said Regulus. "No way am I letting you go with me, this is dangerous."

"So let me help! If this is dangerous you'll probably need help!" the girl insisted.

But Regulus was not going to change his mind, no matter how much she insisted she wanted to go with him.

Harry opened his eyes; he was in their bedroom now; The sun was shining brightly and the morning birds chirped. His aunt was the only one in the room.

Eloise woke up, only to find the spot next to her empty. This didn't alarm her because it had happened plenty of times before; Whether it be Regulus just waking up early to make breakfast, or him needing to go on a mission.

But this time, something felt off.

"Reg? Reg, are you here?" she called out.

No answer.

Eloise hurried out of bed and into the kitchen, but he was not there. She was about to retreat to her bedroom to change when something caught her eye: a note on the countertop, along with Regulus' matching necklace from their Christmas first year.

My dear Eloise,

I hope you know why I had to do this, and why I had to do it alone. I just couldn't bear the thought of anything happening to you because I dragged you there, but I want you to know that I love you more than anything. You are the most beautiful person I have ever had the pleasure of coming across, inside and out, do know this.

If I don't come back in a week's time, it means that I did not make it out, and if I don't I am so, so sorry, my love. I've left my necklace with this note for you in case this does happen. If I don't make it out, keep living. Continue being that happy girl I fell in love with. You've got a niece/nephew on the way, keep going for them.

Sadly, I cannot promise you that I will make it out alive. I'm not completely sure what I will be facing while trying to retrieve the item, but I want you to know, whatever happens, I will always be with you.

I love you,

R.A.B.

By the time Eloise was done reading the letter, all the color had drained from her face.

The scene changed for the last time, and Harry was watching Eloise crying in the arms of her brother— his father.

Eloise had never looked so terrible in her life; Her usually neat hear was knotted and messy, her eye-bags looked twice as dark, and her eyes were bloodshot from crying. She had spent the past seven days barely sleeping or eating from worry. She held onto the hope that her fiancé would return from his journey, but as each day went by it seemed less and less likely that he was coming back.

And when a week passed, she had to accept the truth, no matter how much she wanted to believe otherwise:

Regulus Black was no more.

At first, she couldn't believe it, she really couldn't. It didn't sound real. How could he be gone? They had just been smiling and planning out their future not long before.

It was a pain like no other. It felt as if her heart really had brokenlike when he died, the part of her heart that he held did too. It was a constant pain, and every single thing reminded her of him. She couldn't stop thinking about it, about him.

"H-he's gone . . ." Eloise choked while clutching onto her older brother. "How— why? It's not fair! I h-hate this! W-we were supposed to get married when this st-stupid war ended— have a family! And now he's just gone."

James held onto his sister tightly. He didn't know how she felt, but he could imagine he would've been the sameor worseif it had been Lily that died.

"Shhh . . . It's alright, Ellie, it's alright."

"No," she whispered, "no, it's not alright. Why him? I miss him so much I— I just want him back."

"I know, Ellie," murmured James. "I know."

That was the last thing Harry saw before he was thrown out of the Pensieve.