VIII. CONFRONTATION

╔════════════════════╗VIII

VIII. CONFRONTATION
╚════════════════════╝

27 December, 1977
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
By the Black Lake

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

"WHY HAVE YOU been avoiding me?"

Regulus stood above Eloise with his arms crossed.

She opened her mouth to answer, but nothing came out because, well, what exactly should she say? Oh yeah, sorry for avoiding you yesterday, but I needed some time away to recover from watching you kiss someone during the Christmas Ball! She desperately wanted to tell him, to let him know that she had feelings for him, but there was the horrible fear of him not feeling the same and leaving her. Then again, Remus' words were ringing in the back of her head . . . "I also see the way he looks at you . . ."

He stood there expectantly, arms crossed, "Did I do something wrong? Because we were fine just days ago."

"It . . . it's not that you did anything wrong . . ." she spoke quietly. "It's just that— you and Parkinson kissed."

He stayed quiet for a few seconds staring at her blankly.

"Okay, but I don't see what that has to do with you avoiding me. I mean she was alright, but Merlin she was annoying."

"Oh, Reg, isn't it obvious?!" cried Eloise, throwing her hands up in exasperation. Her eyes glistened with unshed tears. "You're not daft, you have to have seen it by now! It wasn't just jealousy, it was painful watching her dance with you and kiss you. Because— because I wanted that."

Silence.

"You . . . like me?" Regulus asked, not even bothering to hide the shock written his face.

"Understatement of the year," she gave a watery chuckle, but there was no humor behind it. "I—I have liked you for years. And at first I thought it was some simple crush on my best friend, you know? Happens to people all the time, I'm sure. I thought I'd get over it in a few weeks. But a week turned into a month, and months turned into a year, and now it's been three years. It's not just some simple schoolgirl crush anymore, Regulus," she took a shaky breath, "I—I love you and it's been so hard acting like I don't have any feelings for you, and it was just impossible watching you kiss Parkinson. So I'm sorry if I've scared you off now, and I know you probably don't feel the same. I dont know what I was thinking telling you—"

But Regulus seemed to have realized something in the midst of her confession. He had spent so long trying to convince himself that he thought of Eloise like a friend— that that was the reason he felt an immense amount of care for her, why he felt so horribly angry when other guys showed an interest in her — it was all platonic love, right? Just him being a protective best friend . . . right?

Yes, there was a point in time where Regulus did think of Eloise as just his best friend— but he supposed that maybe some time during their fourth year, his feelings shifted; he looked forward to the hugs after winning Quidditch matches much more, his heart raced a little faster, that wanting to be around her. But he simply brushed it off. He had always known that he wanted Eloise Potter in his life forever. The thought of Eloise marrying another man and having children with someone else always made his stomach churn uncomfortably. He was never really sure why; He didn't give it too much thought. It just sounded wrong.

And in that moment, Regulus Black realized the reason behind it all: his "platonic love" wasn't "platonic" at all.

And more than ever, he thought Eloise Potter's lips looked very kissable.

So before Eloise could walk away, he took a large step towards her, placed a hand softly on her cheek, and pressed his mouth to hers.

It happened so suddenly, Eloise froze at first because she couldn't believe it. He kissed her. And only a second later, she kissed him back.

"There's no need to walk away, because I love you too," he breathed out as they finally separated. "I was stupid— not realizing sooner— and I deserve to be knocked over the head for my stupidity. If I'd realized sooner we could've gone to the Ball together, and I might've actually enjoyed it."

"Might've?" said Eloise, raising an eyebrow playfully.

"Definitely would've," he grinned. "This was already ten times better than the whole Ball."

"I'm flattered, Mr. Black, but uh— I do believe that curfew is starting soon . . ."

"Right, right," he muttered. "Well, shall I escort you back to your common room?"

Eloise laughed. "If you say so . . ."