Chapter Two: Fifth Year, September

The first couple of weeks of Hermione's prefect duties had been dull. There was no one out of bed after lights out, besides herself, and she wished that she would at least have had some sort of fulfilment of her role by now. She had taken to using her privileges to work late in the library under the guise of checking the halls on her way back to Gryffindor tower. Although Madam Pince had pursed her lips at Hermione's explanation, she knew she would get away with it.

On a particularly late library session, her eyes tired and sore, she dragged herself through the corridors back to the common room and the promise of sleep. She was barely awake enough to look for anyone breaking curfew and didn't hear the voices until she was almost upon them. The high pitched voice of Professor Umbridge woke her enough to hide herself behind a suit of armour before she crossed into the path of the teacher that sent shivers down her spine.

A few seconds passed before Hermione began to tiptoe back the way she had walked until she found a broom cupboard that she could hide in until the coast was clear. She cast a silencing charm on the door so that it wouldn't creak as she opened it and would keep her presence unknown to those outside when she closed it before stepping into the small, dusty cupboard.

She took a few steps backwards with a sigh of relief at avoiding the terrifying woman and her back hit a solid wall. She was expecting to feel the bite of wooden shelves cut into her back, but this wall was smooth and warm.

'Well this is an interesting situation we find ourselves in.' A voice drawled from behind her, cutting through the silence and rumbling against her back.

Hermione yelped, pulling her wand from the waistband of her skirt and facing her opponent. As her wand poked into the cheek of the boy, she lit the tip with a silent lumos and was met with grey eyes and a gesture of surrender from him.

'What are you doing in here?' She hissed, accusingly.

'I could ask you the same thing.' He bit back as he placed a hand on her wrist and lowered her wand away from his face.

'I'm... checking this cupboard for students breaking curfew.' Hermione lied.

'You're a terrible liar.'

'Fine.' She spat. 'I'm hiding from Umbridge. I don't even think my prefect badge would stop her from giving me detention for being out this late.'

'It seems we had the same idea.' He smirked, watching Hermione pace the small room.

'How long have you been in here?'

'Only a few minutes longer than yourself. We should wait a bit longer if she was still out there when you came in.'

Hermione huffed before dropping her bag on the floor, sitting beside it, and taking a book out, silently brightening the tip of her wand to read. After a minute she felt a warm body slide down to sit next to her and she tried to ignore the rush of heat that spread from his body into hers.

'I could think of a better way to kill time.' He suggested with a smirk. Hermione scoffed and continued reading. 'Don't think I've forgotten that time in Third Year when-'

She cut him off with a Silencing charm and turned her body into his.

'We said we would never mention that. Ever.' She hissed, attempting to sound menacing but the shiver that ran down her body at the memory lessened the harshness of her words. He didn't reply, instead reached up to brush a stray curl behind her ear and rub his thumb across her bottom lip.

'I'm not doing this again.' She whispered.

'The offer is on the table. Same rules as last time. No one knows. We never speak of it.' He replied, his grey eyes flickering to her mouth before locking onto her gaze.

Hermione took a deep breath, trying to ignore the tingles that ran through her body at his suggestion. 'Screw it.' She mumbled before moving her leg across his body and straddling his lap.

'You could sound a little more excited.' He drawled as she bent her lips to his and shut him up.

Hermione locked away the logical part of her brain as their lips touched and his hands rested on her thighs. She would only think of the physical enjoyment of this moment and not the unfortunate situation that being with this boy created. She pressed into him, deepening their kiss as she opened her mouth and he sat up straighter to reciprocate. His hands brushed up her thighs and she gasped as his fingers untucked her blouse and rested on the bare skin of her hips. She would have pulled away to scold him had he not pressed her hips into his and sent white hot sparks up through her abdomen.

She linked her hands behind his neck and lost herself in the moment, enjoying the hardness of his body pressed against hers. She unbuttoned the top three buttons of his shirt and slipped her fingers over the bare skin of his chest, earning a groan from deep in his throat. His hands slipped further up her shirt and toyed with the clasp of her bra.

Hermione pulled away before he could undo it, her breathing erratic and her cheeks flushed.

'Too much?' He asked with a smirk.

Hermione hesitated before nodding with a small smile.

'Time to see if the coast is clear.' He said, sounding slightly dejected that their moment was over. Effortlessly, he gripped Hermione's body to his own and stood up, her legs wrapped around his middle as he held her up with one arm. He placed one last kiss to her lips before lowering onto her own two feet and leaving without a word.

Hermione took a moment to right her uniform and calm the heat rushing through her body before she left the broom cupboard and hurried towards Gryffindor tower. It was close to 2am when she finally collapsed into bed and fell asleep dreaming of the broom cupboard.