“I know I'll be in Slytherin, all our family have been. Besides I doubt a pretty girl like you would be in Gryffindor when you can be in Slytherin with us" He winked as I gagged.

“I’m Lucius Malfoy, by the way” He held his hand out to shake it. I could feel my fingers cold as I just wanted to freeze him over.

“Sapphire Emmett” I smiled, and I shook his hand. I could sense the coldness of my hands had sent a chill down his spine.

“Your hands are cold? Don’t worry I can heat you up” He winked as I gasped. SICK! I heard my brother step forward.

“That’s enough Malfoy! Keep your paws to yourself!” He warned as he just sneered and turned away.

"That's you done, my dear," and I, not sorry for an excuse to stop talking to Malfoy, hopped down from the footstool.

"Well, I'll see you at Hogwarts, I suppose," He winked as I gagged once we left the shop.

“Man Leo, are their many Slytherin jerks like him?” I asked as he chuckled.

“I wouldn’t think so” He laughed as he swung his arm over my shoulder, as I gave him a side hug as we walked around. We bought my school books in a shop called Flourish and Blotts where the shelves were stacked to the ceiling with books as large as paving stones bound in leather; books the size of postage stamps in covers of silk; books full of peculiar symbols and a few books with nothing in them at all.

We got a pewter cauldron, a nice set of scales for weighing potion ingredients and a collapsible brass telescope. Then we visited the Apothecary, which was fascinating enough to make up for its horrible smell, a mixture of bad eggs and rotted cabbages. Barrels of slimy stuff stood on the floor; jars of herbs, dried roots, and bright powders lined the walls; bundles of feathers, strings of fangs, and snarled claws hung from the ceiling. While Leo asked the man behind the counter for a supply of some basic potion ingredients for me, I examined silver unicorn horns at twenty-one Galleons each and minuscule, glittery-black beetle eyes (five Knuts a scoop).

Outside the Apothecary, Leo checked my list again.

"Just your wand left and you’re pet. Let’s get your wand first"

The last shop was narrow and shabby. Peeling gold letters over the door read Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 B.C. A single wand lay on a faded purple cushion in the dusty window.

“Go on inside, it’s your time” He winked as I chuckled. A tinkling bell rang somewhere in the depths of the shop as I stepped inside. It was a tiny place, empty except for a single, spindly chair. I felt strangely as though I had entered a very strict library; I swallowed a lot of new questions that had just occurred to me and looked instead at the thousands of narrow boxes piled neatly right up to the ceiling. For some reason, the back of my neck prickled. The very dust and silence in here seemed to tingle with some secret magic.

"Good afternoon," said a soft voice. I jumped. An old man was standing before me, his wide, pale eyes shining like moons through the gloom of the shop.

"Hello," I said awkwardly.

"Ah yes," said the man. "Yes, yes. I thought I'd be seeing you soon. Sapphire Emmett." It wasn't a question. "I have been giving those special element wands to your brothers and sister, don’t worry your secret is safe with me."

Mr. Ollivander winked as I gave a forced smile.

"Which is your wand arm?"

"Er -- well, I'm right-handed," I replied.

"Hold out your arm. That's it." He measured me from shoulder to finger, then wrist to elbow, shoulder to floor, knee to armpit and round my head. As he measured, he said, "Every Ollivander wand has a core of a powerful magical substance, Miss. Emmett. We use unicorn hairs, phoenix tail feathers, and the heartstrings of dragons. No two Ollivander wands are the same, just as no two unicorns, dragons, or phoenixes are quite the same. And of course, you will never get such good results with another wizard's wand."

I suddenly realized that the tape measure, which was measuring between my nostrils, was doing this on its own. Mr. Ollivander was flitting around the shelves, taking down boxes.

"That will do," he said, and the tape measure crumpled into a heap on the floor. "Right then, Miss. Emmett. Try this one. Beechwood and dragon heartstring. Nine inches. Nice and flexible. just take it and give it a wave."

I took the wand and feeling foolish waved it around a bit, but Mr. Ollivander snatched it out of my hand almost at once.

“Nope. Hmm I wonder” He disappeared and pulled out a soft blue/white coloured box, and gently placed it down on the counter. He lifted the lid showing this wand: acmewandsupply.com/images/2112_collage.jpg

“This is the one” I whispered as I took the wand. I felt a sudden warmth in my fingers. I raised the wand above my head, brought it swishing down through the dusty air and a stream of white and blue sparks shot from the end like a firework, throwing dancing spots of light on to the walls.

Mr. Ollivander cried, "Oh, bravo! Yes, indeed, oh, very good. I believe that is seven inches, Sapphire cored with a phoenix feather. But this wand is unlike any wands your sibling have Miss Emmett. This wand holds the currents of the Ocean. I take it your element if the water"

He whispered as I gave a swift nod. I paid seven gold Galleons for my wand, and Mr. Ollivander went straight to his next costumer as they entered. I saw Leo waiting for me as I showed him my wand.

“Beautiful” He smiled as we went to buy my pet.

My pet: thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_202/1193822140vXRekE.jpg

I called her Moonlight. We soon met up with mum and my brothers and sister. We soon apparated ourselves back home. It was pitch black outside and the thunder rumbled.

“Pack your trunks, then come down for dinner” Mum smiled, as we all set off in our different directions.