"He said that it wasn't Titania's character to do it but he had his own suspect in mind."

"Who is it?" Edmund asked eagerly. "Did he tell you?"

"No." Juliet shook her head. "He slipped away before I could ask him. Is he dead because of me?" she choked out.

Edmund paused, as if silently debating whether to tell her the truth. "It might have something to do with you," he replied reluctantly. "We aren't sure yet. I need to consult with Captain Jack."

On the note of the fiery captain, Juliet frowned. "Why didn't you tell me that you were working with him?"

"I wasn't sure if I could." He looked away guiltily.

"You didn't trust me," she said in a flat voice. "Is your loyalty to Captain Jack as important as your love for me?"

Edmund sighed. "Juliet. I'm helping Captain Jack on this secret mission on the Queen's orders. We have to report to the Queen if there are casualties and as it happens, today's the first one."

"Is Cedric a French sympathizer then?" Juliet could hardly believe that the loyal manservant had betrayed their country and the monarch.

"No, he isn't. But his death is suspicious." Edmund looked at her severely. "Remember. If anyone, even the inspector, asks you on what you talked to him last night about, tell them that you were merely enquiring after their good health. Don't speak a word about Captain Jack or about your poisoning."

"Fine."

"I must get going now," Edmund muttered and he walked to the door.

"Wait!" Juliet called out. "Won't you stay with me just a little more?" Edmund stopped.

He closed his eyes. "I'm sorry, Juliet. I've to report to Captain Jack." He then left without a backward glance.

*********

Edmund's POV

"Damn it, Edmund, what the hell happened?" Captain Jack roared, in one of his famous tempers.

"How the hell did that Cedric man died? I thought we sent out someone to keep an eye on him."

Edmund looked unperturbed by the captain's anger. "Our man lost sight of him."

"Where the hell did he go then?"

"He appeared to have disappeared in the direction of Sir Bernard's house."

"Mercy." Captain Jack slapped his forehead. "We thought that the Cedric man had a lead and now he's killed. Though this proves that he knew something."

"According to Juliet," Edmund replied. "He suspected someone but never said who it was though he claimed that it wasn't Titania."

"Of course it isn't that pompous-looking peacock!" Captain Jack boomed. "She wouldn't be useful to the French unless she's used to seduce the nobles. I've my eye on Sir Bernard. He's been strange lately."

"Aye." Edmund nodded. "He has been patronising the gambling den lately. Though it could be a facade for some of his activities there."

"Keep an eye on him." Captain Jack flicked his finger at a fly. "How's that 'lil missy of yours after last night at the garden?"

"How did you know where we were?" Edmund asked, but he didn't look the least bit surprised.

"Haha!" Captain Jack laughed deeply. "I had someone follow you. Didn't you notice?"

"I did," Edmund replied curtly. "Of course, it did cross my mind that you were the only one who was bored enough to follow a couple in the middle of night."

"You know me too well, my lad!" Captain Jack nodded. Suddenly, a man burst in.

"M'lords," he greeted after bowing. He handed over a leather pouch to Captain Jack and then left the room.

"What was that?" Edmund raised his eyebrows.

"I had a spy in the police force," Captain Jack drawled and his fingers pulled clumsily at the strings of the leather pouch. He took out a paper and smiled.

"It appears that the manservant was found with a letter which he originally intended to send to your 'lil missy."

"Juliet?" Edmund sat up. "How does it concern her?"

"I can sense your anxiety, lad," Captain Jack said slowly. "Patience."

He passed the note over and Edmund skimmed through it.

Dear Lady Juliet,

I did not tell you this at the party and I feel deep regret but in case something happens to me, you must know that you're in deep danger. I know not who's behind your poisoning but I've felt someone follow me these past nights when I go on my master's errands. As I've mentioned before, it's not Titania.

I fear that the mastermind behind your poisoning is someone whom you would never expect. I can't even bring myself to write it but I will slip away during my lunch hour tomorrow and pay a visit to you to tell you who I think is behind all this. This letter is just to inform you in advance.

And if you don't see me tomorrow, I fear that you will never see me again but you've been kind to me all these years.

Please stay safe, m'lady.

Regards, your loyal servant,

Cedric Hemsworth

Edmund folded the paper. "This tells us nothing," he muttered.

"Still, it's a start," Captain Jack sighed.

He then got up and walked to the door.

"Where are you going?" Edmund stood up as well.

"The meeting's over." Captain Jack waved his hands. "I've to go visit an old friend."

"Who?"

There was no answer as the door slammed shut.