every tragedy begins a love story.

"I bet you a hundred bucks you couldn't seduce the new princess."
The bet of his brother rang in Loki's ears as the prince dressed for the upcoming ball to celebrate the coming of the new heir.

He glanced around his room, taking in the details of the large suite. The green curtains rustled in the cool night breeze, fluffing the outfits he'd decided not to wear.

Vanaheim and Asgard had long been at odds with one another-having the ball here meant a future of possible peace and togetherness they hadn't seen since before even Thor's birth. Loki was eager to scope out a potential bride, maybe even a Vanir woman. That would be wonderful.

And that new bet would make that job easier.

He was fuzzy on how the Vanir children ascended, but he vaguely could remember learning that the royal kids took a series of written and physical tests to judge strength, loyalty, aptitude, and intelligence. The final test was a fight to the death between the last pair, he knew that well. The second youngest sister had won against the hopeful, the eldest brother. The eldest had muscle, strength ,intelligence, but he lacked serious compassion.

Loki shrugged to himself. Better a compassionate and stupid queen than a brilliantly cruel king.

He placed his horned helmet on his head and smiled at his reflection. He was ready. He walked into the hall and met his brother, who wore that stupid chicken helmet but they smiled at each other.

"Take my bet?"
"As always, Brother." Loki smirked. "I can make any woman mine, save for a lesbian."
"She is no lesbian, by every account."
Loki scoffed. "Come on, if she's easy-"
"No no, she had a boyfriend for a while and he shattered her heart."
Loki winced. "I feel that one."

even this stupid hallway reminds me of Sigyn. Loki thought with a sigh. It had been three hundred years. Not long enough, he supposed.

Thor chuckled and rounded the corner, the huge doors of the ballroom openat the end of the hall. Loki loved that ballroom, with the tables against the walls and candles on every ledge.

They entered and Loki immediately began the scan. He saw a few women thatcaught his eye, but mostly they were duchesses and noblewomen.

"Anything?"
Loki craned his neck. "Not yet. I'm not the kind to be quicklysmitten by a woman, even if she is pure godly royalty."

"Ah,there she is." Thor pointed her out.

Lokiturned his head and then he saw her.

Inthe golden glow of the candles, the shimmery crown perched on herdark brow appeared to be liquid, melting into the soft auburn folds of her hair. Her eyes glimmered icy blue intelligence and herclasped hands exuded gentility. The tan dips and swallows of hercheekbones accentuated her sweet and kindly smile, and her nose madeher look like a statue of Aphrodite. And her dress hugging everycurve and flaring at the knee to give a cape like affect...

"Brother?"Loki choked out in awe.

" Itold you."
"That cannot be her-"

"What,chicken?"
Loki straightened and marched over, sweating in hiscomplex armor.

Her voice was just as sweet as her demeanor.

"Why, sir, you flatter me. My victory was sheer luck-"
"Not from what I've heard, Your Majesty." Loki said in the cool voice he used to enchant women.

She turned and smiled, causing his heart to swell. "Well, I would know that helm anywhere, your Highness."
He stooped and gently kissed her hand, eliciting gasps from the women around her. He cocked an eyebrow and looked back up at her face.

"Aesir culture, ladies. In Vanaheim, kissing a woman's hand is like spitting in her face."
Loki paled and began profusely apologizing, bowing and taking off his helm. He didn't know that bit of Vanir culture, but he knew taking off your helm during apology was sincere.

"Please, Prince, stand. I know you meant no foulness by it. Loki, is it not?"

He nodded and bowed again. "yes, your Majesty."

"Please, call me Amalei."

He straightened and nodded. "Yes, Princess Amalei."
She looked ather twittering handmaids, dismissing them to drink with a smile.

She held out her hand and he took it, beginning a simple Vanir dance. Heads turned as they spun in circles, clearing the floor rapidly.

He could feel his pulse in every piece of his body as they glided over the floor, the world slowing for them, her eyes keeping in tune with his. The golden glow swept over them like a gentle rainfall, coating them in glimmering beauty.

Frigga stood off to the side, smiling brightly with happy tears in her eyes as she watched her son fall in love. Odin, however, was more pleased as his plan fell into place.

Put the idea to bet Loki about the crown princess.

Have Loki fall in love with her.

Have her fall for him.

Their marriage unite the Realms.

Meanwhile, Thor was wondering how he was going to get the money to give to his baby brother.

The song ended and he bowed to her, once again taking off his helm. Her handmaids twittered in delight at the thought of their mistress finding a king.

She took his arm and leaned up to his ear. "I would love to see your mothers garden."

he grinned and nodded. "The garden it is."

***

She took his hand and wandered through the garden, the stars illuminating their path as they walked.

"Your mother has a green thumb."
"I agree. These roses are particularly lovely, they were bred with honeysuckle for the wondrous smell without the, ah..."
"Invasive properties?" Amalei smiled up at him, kneeling to take a whiff.

He nodded and laughed. "yes, they're devastating."

"In Vanaheim we have Kudzu."
"Ah, I know that vine. It's lovely onfences." He gestured to a trellis with a specially designed vine.

"Itis. Does it flower?"

"Unfortunately not. I haven't thought of it. Perhaps it should." He smiled and they continued their walk.

They came upon a moonlit clearing with a bench and an old statue. She satin the bench and he sat beside her, taking her hand gently.

"So I assume Odin put you up to wooing me to unite the Realms?"

Loki chuckled. "No, he thinks I'm at the party."

She laughed. "I don't believe that."
"Why, think my intentions are impure?"

"Yes."

He turned and looked at her, sighing. "I will be honest. My brother put me up to wooing you but...honestly, he expected me to stop after our initial conversation. The dance, and this garden...that's all me."

He took his helmet off and shook his hair out, running his fingers through it. "I think you are absolutely exquisite."

Her blush was evident in the bright moonlight. "You have a way with words, Mischief God."
"You know more about me than you let on, darling."
"Well, darling, I think you've been absolutely charming. You tempt me." she smirked at him and ran her fingers over his chest.

He bit his lip and she leaned in, close enough that he could feel the breath on his mouth. "But I have strength. Here's my number and enjoy your night."