Chapter Four: Heliconis

"Bryony?" A voice called out. There was a cave near where the Amaranth Gate was, and I had elected to stay there.

     "Who is it?" I replied, my voice wary.

     "Well... Um, your Highness... Queen Regent Comfrey has decided that you, um... need a guard, and, um... there was a young man asking if he could be in it... andQueenRegentComfreysaidhecouldsoihopeyou'reokwiththatthanksbye!" The sweet voice sounded so scared, I couldn't let her think she angered me.

    "Oh! Hello, Calla!" I turned the corner and saw the young girl, scared and running.

     "Oh, Um, your Highness. He...hello. I... um... I... I brought your guard." The girl stuttered. "Um... Queen Regent Comfrey said that... it would be... fitting... if I were to... to head it."

     "Oh, Calla! Thank you! That's great! But, if I may ask, who's my other guard?"

     "Oh. Um, his name is... Ruben."

     "Ruben..."

     "Ruben Kilsen, Highness." My worst fears had been confirmed. I scowled.

     "Calla?"

     "Yes, your Highness?"

     "Tell him he's fired. And that he is now exiled from Albion, effective immediately. Oh, and I'll be heading to the Winter Palace now." My panic knew no bounds when I heard that HE had managed to find his way into my guard. I ran back into the cave and grabbed all three of my packs: clothing, potion materials, and actual potions. As soon as I ran back out, Calla caught up with me.

     "Your Highness... why are you leaving?"

     "Ruben's a menace."

     I was back in the Winter Palace, and anyone could tell that winter had come to Albion. Snow was falling in fat chunks outside the windows. Comfrey hadn't bloomed yet, but she would in a few days, and would stay that way for the entirety of winter, unlike everyone else in that most fae only bloomed for about a month each year.

     "Oh! What's this?" I exclaimed, having found a scrap of paper hidden in my nightstand. I straightened it out. It read:

     "Dear Bryony,

         I know losing Prim and I must be hard, but know that we'll always be here. Listen, Grace. What you must do will be hard, but it is necessary. You must hold a Ceremony of Rest for us. With this, you will gain both of our memories. After this, you will be crowned Queen of Albion. Oh, Gracie, I never thought I'd see this day. Granted... but never you mind. A joyous new age for Albion awaits, my darling, and you shall lead us into it.

     Oh, and one more thing, my dear. Trust the Summer at the gates, and take them both in. House them well, and you'll be treated well.

                    Love Eternal,

                       Serina"

     I choked back a sob. Serina had known what was to come. She knew they were going to pass into the Tree. She had been leaving notes for me all around the palace... I couldn't take it. I ran to Comfrey's room to show her the note.

      "Oh, Com, what does she want me to do?" I cried.

     "First, my dear, she wants you to lead the Ceremony of Rest." Comfrey was in 'mom' mode, and she was very good at it. I had stopped crying within half an hour, and we had started to have a somewhat normal conversation.

     "But she said she wants me to be queen! Now! I don't know anything about being a queen!"

     "That, dear Bryony, is why you must lead the Ceremony. Now go clean yourself up. I'll save it for a week from now, and the coronation a week after. Alright, Bry?" Comfrey's gentle voice compelled me. I couldn't help it. I said yes.

      "Alright, Bryony. You've seen plenty of these. You know what to do, right?" Comfrey asked.

    "Yes." I was wearing a plain silver-blue dress, appropriate for the Ceremony of Rest.

    "Good. Good luck, and believe."