Mitochondria | Chpt 19

Start from the beginning

"Uh....like storage? Like it reminds me of a vacuum bag," he said.

"Good." We went through each and Kaminari had picked up on each one. "See, you just needed to practice."

"Yeah, thank you. Did you need help with English?"

"Ugh, please," I said. "Like this, what is this?" I pointed to my book. Kaminari placed his hand on the back of my chair, leaning in to see what I was pointing to. I glanced at him, noticing how close he was; so close I could feel his body heat. I didn't usually get to see Kaminari this close up and it very much reminded me of how he looked when he showed me his spark shower. Did he just look like this all the time? How was that fair?

"Oh that's just went versus goed. A couple of verbs do that. That's something kids learn when they're really young, they try and pattern so they see most verbs end in -ed when they're in past tense, and they try it with all of them. You just have to pick up on the irregular ones," he said. "I don't know what it is about that, it just makes sense. A lot of other stuff doesn't."

I wasn't really paying attention to what he was talking about, my eyes following his profile as he gestured with his free hand. My head tilted and my lips curled up almost involuntarily like when I saw a cute animal. In this case it was still cute, just in a different way. His head turned towards mine, nose to nose.

"(Y/n)?" I blinked once or twice before realizing that he was speaking to me. I leaned back, my eyes widening. I laughed awkwardly to dispel the energy that had been building up between us.

"Yeah! Makes sense! You said...math? Help with math?" I asked, shutting my book violently. He flinched back slightly, looking upon me strangely. He retrieved his arm off the back of my chair.

"Yeah, that would be good. Are you feeling okay?"

"Fine and dandy, thank you for asking," I said, gesturing towards his books so he would look away from me. I let out a breath when he turned to his bag. He pulled out his work, seeing that it was rather simple stuff.

"I just don't really understand the teacher, or I just need it explained 2 times," he said, pointing to the problem. I quietly explained it to him, him following along. He began writing along with my speech before moving on to one by himself. I just watched to see if he was doing it correctly.

"Oh hey guys," I glanced up at Jirou who was approaching the table. Kaminari looked up as well, smiling.

"Hey, you should join us. Sit down!" Kaminari invited, to which Jirou accepted. Jirou was cool, calm, and collected, not to mention she was extremely pretty. She was very nice as well.

"Math?" She asked, glancing to me. I just nodded.

"Yeah, I will never understand our math teacher," he said. Jirou chuckled slightly.

"What, because he can't collect his sentences or the fact he talks way too fast?" She laughed and he laughed too, turning to the problem again.

"Both?" He replied. "How come you're here?"

"I still haven't done my hero course assignment," she said.

"Thank goodness, I already did it." I glanced between the two, not finding anything to contribute. My eyes stopped on Kaminari and an uneasy feeling settled over my stomach. He was paying close attention to not only his work but Jirou too. It wasn't at all my place to feel jealousy creep up in my stomach, but it had a mind of its own. I didn't fit in at all with this picture. "Oh I forgot to tell (y/n) this earlier."

"What?" I asked, my name finally brought up.

"We we're working on science," he said, his conversation directed at Jirou across the table. "So, do you have 11 protons?"

"11 protons?" Jirou asked.

"Yeah, because you're sodium fine! Get it, so damn fine?"

"Ugh that's so bad!" Jirou called, pink flushing over her cheeks. I felt my stomach drop and I frowned, wondering why he hadn't told me that. Why had that been reserved for Jirou? Directed at her?

I shouldn't be jealous. I was supposed to be letting my crush fade so I didn't get in trouble. I was the one who had to and chose to keep Kaminari a friend. I didn't have any right to be jealous, as if I had keepsakes over him. But I couldn't help it and I felt so foolish.

"So are you coming to the Sports Festival?" I glanced up at Jirou who had asked.

"Yeah, just watching," I replied, faking a smile. Kaminari began talking about what he was excited about. He looked so happy and lit up, again like I had seen during the spark shower. It was something that made my heart melt for some reason, which was probably the most problematic thing. My eyes shifted to Jirou. She was writing things down, her eyes shifting up at Kaminari spoke. Each time I could see the slight gleam in her eyes and the pink in her face. She was smiling.

Wasn't Kaminari the one who had said studying with me meant more fun, alone time? What happened to that?

"Ugh, I should get going. Kirishima wants me to be his weights?" Kaminari said skeptically. I had already packed my bag during their talking. I slung it around my shoulder, standing up with the pair.

"I'll walk with you," Jirou offered and I pursed my lips.

"Hey, thanks for helping me (y/n)! I'll see you tomorrow," he said, giving me a gleaming smile. He walked off with Jirou beside him and my chest pinched, running through my veins uncomfortably. I cringed slightly, knowing neither of them had offered to walk with me. I felt my lip tremble slightly, watching them walk beside each other.

It was less of a jealousy thing now, but more of a disappointment. I had very much convinced myself that the reason why Kaminari and I would not date was solely because of my father's rule. Now seeing the pair go made me realize that he probably wouldn't pick me over one of his other options. I had known that from the beginning, knowing where I came from and how I acted. Who I was. Kaminari would not like someone like me, I already knew that. The fact I forgot until now just hurt really bad. Kaminari flirt with everyone, I was no exception. I could tell Jirou was different. That was fine, I couldn't date him anyways.

It just sucks.

I trudged back home, shutting the front door. I dropped my bag with a solid thud, placing my laptop on top of it. I felt my eyes grow warm and glossy.

"Hey kiddo, you hungry?" I glanced up at Mic coming from the kitchen. He peered at me, tilting his head when he saw my face. "What's up kid?"

"I don't feel good," I said, clutching my stomach.

"Do you have a stomach ache?" He asked, approaching. He looked at my watery eyes, wiping underneath them. "Oh (y/n) what's the matter?" I choked out a soft cry and he placed my head against his shoulder softly. He let down my hair as I just stood there.

"My chest hurts."

"Your chest?" He asked. "We're you exercising or something?"

"I was tutoring Kaminari," I said. Mic paused and leaned his head back to look at me. He brushed my hair away from my face. My lip quivered again as my eyes grew wetter. When I shut them a tear rolled down my left cheek, water still sitting in my right eye. "Jirou showed up and...he...they're...and I'm just."

"I understand." I placed my face in his shoulder, crying softly and he wrapped me up in a full hug this time. I didn't have to say much at all for Mic to figure out what was wrong. The door opened and closed, signifying that my father had come home.

"What's wrong, what's happening?" He called and I turned away from Mic to look at him.

"(Y/n) is having a rough day. Stomach hurts. All around not so good," Mic said, rubbing my back. Shouta looked to Mic, who gently pressed me forwards towards him. My dad offered up open arms, letting me sink into his hug and cry.

"We'll get some food and you can rest. Take a break," he said, kissing the top of my head. I just sobbed harder and he squeezed me tighter in his hug, not knowing what to do.

~Caly